1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

4-String vs. 5-string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jkubler, Aug 21, 2001.

1. jkubler

jkubler

Aug 21, 2001
    I play guitar, and drumbs, and am going to do some recording. My favorite band is Collective Soul. In one of their singles, Why Pt. 2,the bass player, Will Turpin, uses a 5 string bass. I can get a deal on a $250 Washburn 5-string bass. Should I get it or get a 4 string bass that is cheaper?

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I typed this offline and there were not replies when I typed it (?)

First welcome to the board

Second I have no idea who collective soul are (sorry)

Third I have a 4 and a 5 and I play guitar and drums in my four track studio.

Fourth-my advice

I am 'teaching' a friend to play bass. He is the guitarist in one of my bands and is doing what you are doing (but with shock horror a drum machine) He bought my standard reply 1st bass which is a second hand Mim (mexican) Fender Jazz bass from a shop. I always recommend a Mim Fender because

1 they are a good balance between cost and quality
    2 they have a good residual value ie you lose less cash selling it
    3 second hand items mean you lose even less cash
    4 some shops give a limited warranty on sh stuff (check policy)

The jazz has a slim neck and two pickups the precision has a thicker neck and one pickup-you choose.

Right the added possible flame inducing choice of 4 v 5 strings. There are 5 string Fenders but there are not as many choices and they are a bit more expensive. The question is how much do you need the low notes?
    Some players like the low B because they can open up the neck for two octave stuff easier (nb easier I have a 4 remember). If your usage will be as I suspect mainly playing in E, A and D and you want to lay down some bass the four will do that (as my friend is doing (very well after two lessons)). I am not putting down the four I prefer 4 and I have a 5 for pragmatic reasons. My bass player (long story) has played for 16 yrs and uses a Japanese Jazz (which I recommended cos it was pre Mim).

Sorry long answer

Short one is try some 4 and 5 string Mim Fenders. These are more money than $250. Its your choice. Get what you and your wallet are happy with.