Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4-stringers, I need recommendations

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by blen dem, Jun 19, 2003.

1. blen dem

blen dem Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2001
    USA, Vallejo
    what's crackin! it's been over a year and a half since I last posted. I ended up getting the Rapture J2000 5 string instead of the Spector NS JH5CM. To all of you who gave me advice/recommendations much thanks! I'm happy with the Pedulla, thought it was going to have a deeper natural tone but still able to get the deep dub and roots reggae tone out of it for the band.

Now, I need a 4-string. $800 -1K limit, new/used don't care. Geting into latin jazz and doing projects in styles of hip-hop, funk, soul, and fusion... The Pedulla is great but..who am i kidding - I JUST WANT A FOUR STRING MAAAAN... Narrowing it down to Spector NS 2JCM, Euro 4, used Alembics Essence, Epic. Anyone played a Rebob? Not really into Ibanez, fenders, warwicks for now. Fingerboard MUST be darkwood - rosewood, ebony, pau ferro etc. is my only stipulation (Pedulla is maple). Any suggestions are welcome. PEACE!

2. Check out rondomusic.com they've got some great stuff there...

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    one word.....

WIShNEVSKY!!!

:rolleyes:

4. OneDrop

OneDrop

Jun 17, 2003
    i play an 80s yamaha bb3000s and it suits the styles you listed very well. i picked it up for $300 to top it off. the last stuff i was playing was reggae, hip-hop, latin and soul, so i set up with flats and it's butter. i've preferred it to any other basses i've owned, even those over $1k. just one to look out for since you're in the market.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    :confused:

Essex basses are great for the price, but I don't think they're going to be the quality he's expecting.

6. xparis001

xparis001 Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Worcester, ma
    Product Manager, Akai Professional
    you know, I just played a musicman SUB, and for the price, they are pretty damn cool. I actually liked it better than the stingray and sterling I a/b'ed it with. granted, Im a passive electronics kind of guy though. Im posting a review of the bass as its own thread, go check it out when its up.

7. Fender Jazz bass, the king of narrow necks, damn comfortable too, great sound

8. What's wrong with them? I find they play perfectly fine...

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've got one as well, and they play perfectly fine for what they are, but for around a grand you can choose from a fair amount of instruments that are FAR better.

There'a four-string Ken Smith on Ebay right now for $1100 I believe (it's in the Ebay deals thread.

10. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    For the styles of music that you're getting into, and based on the fact that you like your Rapture, I would highly recommend a Fender Jazz or jazz copy. You could get a new Fender, Lakland Skyline, Peavey, or other "over seas" bass in that price range. You could also get a used Rapture around that price range as well.

11. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    (ding ding!)

PEAVEY CIRRUS!

12. blen dem

blen dem Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2001
    USA, Vallejo
    right on for all the feedback. Actually shot over to GC during lunch and played a rapture 4, and a couple of Fenders. Only reason why I am shying away from the Fenders is that I've had two in the past and looking to try other basses. MIM Jazz (stolen, really really good bass) and MIA P-bass - didn't care much for it. However, i do keep an open mind and try em out every now and then. So far, the feel and sound just ain't happenin for me. I did play a used 4-string pedulla MVP a few months ago but they were asking $1,300 for it.... No Re-bop experiences huh...

13. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    We have a winner. Seriously, if you havent tried one of these out you really should.

14. like some people have said. definetly check out a Peavey Cirrus if you can. I take it from your post that you are not really into fender style basses. but I really like the lakland skyline stuff and a G&L L2000 would be sweet. a rickenbacker would also be real sweet. but if you are into the more untradition/exotic looking stuff then I would say the peavey currus. amazing basses.

15. b0nes83

b0nes83

Dec 14, 2000
    someone got to it before i did.....its a cirrus.
    thats all i have and thats all i need...well for the toy bass that is.
    peace
    Chad

16. That's precisely what I was going to suggest! The more I play mine, the more I love it!

17. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I must preach the gospel of G&L!

Try out an L2000 with a Jazz neck. You won't be sorry.

Cheers,
    Chris