1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

4 strings on 5'er Body?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BlueAliceOasis, Jun 29, 2016.

1. What's the effect of this and are there any people who have done this apart from Stu Hamm? Seems like a cool idea and if I ever get a custom bass from Warwick or Spector, I might try it.

2. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    As in with 5 string neck and a new nut and bridge or a 4 string neck retro fitted to a 5 string? The most obvious thing is that with exposed poles the strings won't line up with them either way but blade pickups or covered pickups fix that. With a 5 string neck and new nut and bridge it would give you a pretty wide string spacing so you'd have more room for slap and pop stuff. Tonally it wouldn't change and aesthetically most 5 string bodies are essentially the same as their 4 string counterparts.

BlueAliceOasis likes this.
  3. Well Stu Hamm's Warwick is a 4 string with a 5 body, so I would think I'm speaking about the former, lol. Thanks.

4. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    From what I found stu hamms Warwick is just a 4 string with a bigger body then the standard, not a mod so it has zero effect on anything except it's going to be heavier and that might offset some of the Warwick neck dive.

5. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    What is the point of wanting to do this?

6. Really? I watched a video of him speaking on his model and he says it's a five string body. It most certainly looks like one. His basses are also pretty light.

Just curious, how would that get rid of some of the neck dive?

7. I like the look of broader bodies on certain basses.

8. BigBobbyBass

BigBobbyBass

Jan 23, 2015
    I didn't know there was any difference between 4 and 5 string bodies. I'm still not convinced there is.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021