4 strings or 5 strings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bigdavis_08, Oct 9, 2004.

1. Bigdavis_08

Oct 7, 2004
    Hugoton, KS
    Today a lot of my favorite bands have a 5 string bass (Korn,Disturbed,Cold) and i really want a five string bass, butthis is going to be my very first bass and im thinking that i should get a 4 string. so what should i do?
  2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    If the music you love primarily features 5 string basses, you should get a 5 string. 4 and 5 string basses are equally easy to play and equally difficult to play well.

Beyond that, do a forum search- this has been covered many many times.
  3. First, consider your budget. If you're serious about a fiver, let it be known that if you want a decent fiver, expect to pay at least 400 bucks for one. You also need to get a decent amp to handle the lows.

Now, consider what bass would be more comfortable to you. I own an Ibanez GSR190, and it's a pretty good starter bass. All I had to do with it was change the action and put new strings on it, and now it sounds pretty good for what it's worth. A good starting five string bass would be the MTD Kingston models. I've played one, and I loved it. The B didn't feel floppy, which is good if you wanna start out on a five string bass.

Do you think you're gonna stick with this, and if you are, are you sure you're gonna be playing a five string in the future?
  4. ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Schecter makes a 4 string with a 35" scale and it is tuned B-E-A-D so you can work those low B's as much as you want and still not have a fat neck to deal with and no G-string.(no pun intended!). Of course this depends on what your budget is.
  5. Bigdavis_08

Oct 7, 2004
    Hugoton, KS
    I'm thinking a Spector Performer 4 string. Would this be a good starter? ($350)
  6. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    IMO spector would be a great bass to start out with. i have played a performer 4 string and was greatly impressed. and it is definately better than any squier IMO.
  7. Bigdavis_08

Oct 7, 2004
    Hugoton, KS
    Alright, i decided to go with the Spector Performer 4 String bass. Thanks guys!!
  8. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    ya made tha right choice!
  9. Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    welcome to the spector club :bassist:
  10. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I used to be against 5ers as a first bass but have since changed my mind. A 5 will be harder on your hand but you can get over that hurdle.

I've owned a couple 5's and they're just not for me. I'm just gonna stick with 4's. My only bass right now is EADG but my soon to be main ax that I'm waiting on from Lakland will be strung BEAD. Maybe that could be your solution.
  11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I totally agree, but congratulations on your four, I'm sure it'll work out great for you.