Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4 strings with 20 mm string spacing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brohar, Jun 27, 2005.

1. brohar

brohar

Dec 29, 2004
    Cincinnati
    Who makes'em and how do you like'em?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I guess you can setup most 19mm basses with 3D bridges to 20 mm, at least I can do with mine (Schaller 3D).

I like it (a lot).

3. Jazzguy

Jazzguy Banned

May 3, 2004
    Fender.

4. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    Yep, Fender. So there for, quite a few other makers go for that Fender feel. It shouldn't be hard to find plenty to choose from.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Isn't the Fender spacing 19 mm?

6. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    Yes. 19mm or 3/4" is standard spacing for a 4 string Fender, and as a result, pretty much standard 4 string spacing for everyone. Here's a wacky one for ya...just had a 4 string built with 16.5mm spacing...skinny neck.

7. Cliff Bordwell

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    A Fender Jazz bass has 20mm spacing at the bridge(c-c).
    It's a common misconception that they are .75(19mm)

8. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    I'm building one with just about a 20mm spacing right now. This isn't a solicitation since it's long since sold, just wanted to chime in. The difference between this one and a Jazz is the area where the nut or zero fret would be is about 1.75". I love the wide necks!

9. Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Well, not trying to start an argument here, but it's extremely common...the only number I have ever heard for Fender spacing, in addition to the fact that my P-Bass that I just measured has exactly 3/4" C-C spacing at the bridge. AFAIK, J and P spacings are identical at the bridge and at the heel.

10. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I always thought Jazz basses had 19mm spacing too?? Of course with the new American series it has the bridge with the adjustable saddles, so you COULD set it up for 20mm or so, but if my memory serves me correctly my MIM jazz had 19mm spacing...

With that said, my Tobias Renegade 4 has about 20.5 mm spacing at the bridge, and I'm selling it! Just doesn't feel "right" compared to my other 19mm spaced ones.

11. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    The bass I'm building at the moment is to have 20mm spacing. The bridge will be an ETS MK III.

12. Cliff Bordwell

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    Dimarzio pup specs.
    [​IMG]

Duncan vintage bridge pup specs.
    [​IMG]

20mm= .787
    E to G = 2.362 total

19mm= .750
    E to G = 2.25 total

13. Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Again Cliff, I'm not trying to start a big argument here, but you are the first and only person I have ever encountered to suggest Fender spacing is anything other than 3/4". Every tech I have ever dealt with in 20 years has used that number; every replacement bridge I have ever seen that boasts "standard spacing" is 3/4", and both my P bass and my 4 string Jazz are 3/4". So, I'm really not sure how to respond...other than what I could find online (most sites do not give actual numbers).

StewMac

Warmoth

Angela...?

Just out of curiosity, do you build your 4's with 20mm spacing? Not judging, just honest curiosity.

14. 'Fraid I've got to concur with Marcus here. Measuring the spec'd distances between the polepieces is not the way to determine string spacing at the bridge. The way to do that is...measure string spacing at the bridge. All the Fender-style 4-string bridges I can remember seeing specs on put that spacing at .75"....

Mike

15. Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Be afriad...be very afraid.

16. brohar

brohar

Dec 29, 2004
    Cincinnati
    Well Ive never been much of a Fender guy usually have gone for warwicks or cirruses. Lately Ive heard some really good local players using fenders and really like their sound so ive been giving them a try. First off I dont really have a clue what Fenders to try out, it seems everybody has an opinion on what's better jazz or precision. Secondly this bass is going to be my slap monster (hence the 20mm spacing) but everytime i pick one up at the store I get turned off by the crappy string that come stock on these. They feel rubbery, thick and I hate how they sound. Granted this is a very easy problem to fix but i dont want to buy the bass and change the strings and then find out i dont like it. Well anyways, is there a particular fender i should try out that is the cream of the crop? thanks for all the advice too!