4 strings...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Funkize you, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Well, I have played 6 strings for awhile now, and they are Great, I do really need the extended range for the wierd kinda music I play. But I still would like a Nice 4 banger. I have been a long time advocate of "Six strings, 24 Fret's" and I want a completely different thing, with not a Modern but Not a Vintage tone... And im gonna go off of the "Needed 24 frets" for this one... Something completely different from my other basses.

The bass I currently play is a Peavey Cirrus 6 string with Redwood top... For some reason I just feel at home on this bass... I picked it out over Modulus, Zon, F bass, alembic, Roscoe, elrick, Pedulla and Fodera's... I dont know why but when I picked it up I didnt want anything else... The only problem with it is that I cant slap/pop on it with its close string spacing and my fat hands. So Im thinking of a Pure Slap/pop bass... And a Peavey Cirrus 4 banger isnt the answer...

So here are some conciderations...

MIA Fender Jazz
    Warwick Streamer or other Wick.

So far the most prevelent one seems to be the Musicman... Come on.... Dave LaRue.... But seriously, its a 180* turn on what I usually pick, so it seems like exactly what I want...

Anyone else run into the same thought patern About getting out of "The Norm"?
  2. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    The "out of the norm" for me would be anything with more than four strings. I do Fenders. You might think about the Jazz. There are so many ways to modify a Jazz to suit your tastes that you can make one sound like practically anything you want. While I don't do slap, I know that they are very slappable. Is that a word? Oh, well. You get the picture.
  3. Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Warwicks are great for slapping only playing a few cirrus you may want to reconsider but then again im comparing that to and thumb and thats not what you asked. Musicman would be good.But if you wanna be "2 kool for school" Get A Rickenbacker. They are to me fantastic for slap you get a strong in your face clearity with its own defined sound.
  4. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR Accessories
    Stingray, Stingray, Stingray (or Sterling, whichever you prefer). This thing was made for slapping. No neck pickup to get in your way! GIANT humbucker! 21 frets! Active 3-band EQ! Unfinished neck for even more slickness! Cool pickguard! "Out-of-the-norm" headstock!

And, if a loved one is inside of a burning building and you don't have the key to get in, you can use the Stingray as an axe to break down the door and save the day! You won't even have to tune it at your next gig. :D Ok, I'm rambling, but get the Stingray. I can't say enough about them. You'll love it.
  5. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Really its between the Stringray and the Jazz. Both basses are not at all what I would normally play and that alone makes me want one!

So far like I said the stingray seems like my choice. I heard that they are pretty bouncy if dropped! Like a Basket ball. They have a "Different" tone that I really like.

As for the rick I did try one, that one actually came to mind first but I didnt like the feel of it, It was kinda uncomfortable...
  6. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    If all you're going for is the slap'n'pop, Stingray all the way. If you want a more vintagey tone though, I think a jazz might suit better.
  7. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    A Jazz can be much more versatile in terms of the way it can be set up.`
  8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    How's about an FNA Jazzman - either on Corvette or Streamer shape. That way you have the MM p-up and the neck J p-up and 24 frets; and you also have some extra features over the others, like the adjustable nut, screwless backplate, bridge, etc. Not exactly vintage tone, as you said, but versatile at he same time, so you can get modern tones out of it, as well.

BTW slapping on a 6 is possible, it just takes some time to get used to it, and a lot of practice
  9. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Stingrays are great for that vibe...But i'd check out a few jazzes before you make up your mind. And remember, with fender, make sure you try several of them before making any decisions. Some can be crap and totally turn you off to the fender feel. but be patient, some are true gems...
  10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If you can find a Peavey USA Millennium four string, you should give it a try. It has a twenty-one fret neck, but a 35" scale, so it would becomfortable to you since you use a Cirrus. It has a great slap tone if you like the semi-Music Man/ Lakland sort of tone. The build quality is great. Mine has a Hipshot D-tuner which works well with the 35" scale. You might also want to try a Lakland 44-02 or 44-94 or a G&L 2000. The G&L would be especially good because it sounds great passive or active.
  11. Am I the only one but I think a jazz has a better slapping and popping tone than the Stingray?
    I also like PJ config, like the Spector euro LX or some WW Sreamer. With the pups all the way up it sounds greaaat!
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You should check out a MusicMan Bongo before you buy anything. It is a pure slap machine, plus a whole lot more. Most flexible preamp ever. And it gets the authentic Stingray tone, plus a bunch of tones that make the 'Ray jealous.
  13. You may like to consider my Lakland USA 4-94. I have an add on the for sale forum and "my gallery has pics." Dan designed the 4-94 after all three of Leo's famous basses, the Stingray which it's most like, the Jazz and P.
  14. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    you picked a Peavey over Modulus, Zon, F bass, alembic, Roscoe, elrick, Pedulla and Fodera? yet you are thinking elrick for a next bass? ya uhhh ok i think you should get a 36 fret bass. hey its different from a 24! warwicks are extremely nice (i own a thumb 4) rickenbackers are Extremely Extremely nice (1980 4001). but it depends on you. i could rabble on all day that rickenbackers are the best basses ever and nobody should have anything else ;) . but you could play one and say its too heavy or its too... so my advice would be to try them all out.
  15. After getting a ray last spring, I am a musicman fiend now. I would say for for the ray or bongo. The bongo is awesome if you can get over the looks, if you like the looks, then you are golden. I plan on getting a bongo fiver or a ray fiver this spring.
  16. I think the Music Man would be a good one to consider, mabey a nice Jazz or P bass. Sadowsky Metro or Mike Lull.