1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

4 terminal speakon with an SWR golight 410?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JohnnyLiBass, Mar 5, 2013.

1. I just picked up a GK 1001rbII to go with my golight 410. The GK manual says I can only utilize the benefits of using the 4 terminal speakon (tweeter control from the head) with GK cabs or I risk damaging the cab. Seems like that makes this feature pretty weak....

Any idea if that rule would hold true for my 410? The last thing I wanna do is mess this thing up.

Thanks!

2. The Golight will not use the 2+,2- of the speakon unless you rewire the cab that way. I can't see it being damaged. If something weird is in the cab that connects the 2+,2- to the 1+,1- in any way the amp head will be damaged. If you are worried open one connector, loosen and pull the wires going to the 2+ and 2- tape each wire up and fold them back. Instant 2 wire 4 pole speakon cable safe for the amp and any cab.

3. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    Most of the speaker cables sold in music stores are 4 pole/2 conductor and will work just fine without damaging anything.

4. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    agreed, you dont need a special cable to use a regular cab...

if you are considering wishing to use the biamp feature, a quick look at the amp highlights says that the tweeter output has a built in high pass filter of 5kHz... so your crossover frequency in the cab would need to be real close to that to avoid gaps in response..

given a regular speakon cable also works on the head, i think the treble control knob looks more attractive than biamping for a non gk cab

5. Thanks for that. I'm just learning about speakon... I've always just used 1/4in out of all my gear. It looks like the crossover on the cab is set at 5k for the tweeter.

6. At least one person I know of has rewired a non G-K cab to use the HMS. The trick is to make it easily reversible.

7. I seriously wish I had even the faintest idea of how I might do that. If you can remember who id love to pick their brain.

8. Sorry I must have deleted those messages, he has some electronics experience so it made it easy.

Maybe he will see this thread? Basically the input plate usually has the crossover PCB attached. You need to lift one component to disable the cabs crossover then wire the horn to the 2+,2- of the cabs speakon jack.