Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4 to 5 to 6?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by DanGouge, Mar 27, 2001.

1. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Is it easier to make the jump from 4 string to 6 string by playing a 5 and getting experience on that first or should you just dive right in to the 6?
    -Dan

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It depends on you - your desires and abilities.
    If you want to go six, go six. If you're not sure, think it through and try to find out if a fiver would be sufficient for you.
    I like to think of it like jumping into cold water. It may seem easier to go in step by step, but it may actually be better to jump right in. The shock may be harder, but after that you're in there - way faster than with the first method.
    If your playing technique is already good (thumb behind neck, string damping), it doesn't really matter if you go five or six, it's just a matter adapting to to new bass and using those two extra strings.

3. I'd say if you want a 6, don't waste the money on the 5. Of course then again make sure you want to play a 6 before you dive into it.

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    don't guitarists start out with 6 strings? heck, john turner went from 4 to 7...don't let those other two strings intimidate ya...go for it

5. Hey if ya what to play a 6 then play a six. Try some out to find out if you like the neck, I think it might be more important than a 4 or 5, the feel i mean, not that it is not important on the other, just it might be harder to get comfortable with the reach.
    Personally I prefer a 5, I like the B, but i dont like playing on the g a lot. The c string would seem to be getting to far up into guitar land for my tastes.
    eddie

6. Only play a six if you have the use for it. If you're a lowend kinda guy, a 5 will probably do the job. If you solo, or fancy playing chords, or if you play songs with unison lines in them, a 6 is great. I love my 6.

7. Going to a 5-string first will make it much easier to keep your chops up without making too many mistakes. If you're playing in a band, this might be essential. Also, it would be less of a shock to your band-mates.

Going straight to a 6-string may save you time and money in the long-run but you will be stuck in a steeper learning curve for a while.

I went to a 5-string first but that was probably only because 6-strings were pretty rare in those days. I probably would have gone right to a 6-string if they had been available and affordable back then.

I have some material at http://www.guitar-and-bass.com that should help you transition to either a 5 or 6-string.

Sincerely,

Dave

8. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Go for a 4-string !

pacman, you know im right! ;)

/lovebown

9. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    what can you do on a 4 that I can't on my 6? :)

10. He can buy strings for less than $20.

That's all I can think of.

Dave

11. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    touche my good man, touche...

12. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO