4 to 6 string conversion

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ripper, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    I was just wondering if this was at all possible:

If you were to get a cheapo 4 string, gould you simply change the nut, amount of tuners, pickups, and bridge and create some kind of super-baritone 6 string guitar with regular electric guitar strings?

Just curious.:bag:
  2. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    wouldn't it become a guitar then?
  3. A cheapo 4-string neck probably couldn't handle the tension of 6 strings.

- Dave
  4. i think Shecter actually makes a 'super baritone' six string, coming in at a 30" scale, iirc.

5. You probably wouldn't have to change the pickups.
  6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I don't believe regular guitar strings would be long enough.
  7. Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    If you may be wondering why anyone would even think of this... heres my reason:

In my band i (obviously) play bass. However, we may choose to double certain guitar parts, requiring me to play guitar. guitarists are in short supply around where we are so...

My idea actually wouldn't be on a cheapo, but on a doubleneck bass. the reason for this? Double necks that have both a guitar and bass are in short supply, and reasonably priced ones ain't on eBay that often.

So... I was considering taking a doubleneck bass and converting to to a guitar oon one of the necks, as I'm on a tight budget and don't want to dish out an extra couple hundred for the neck.

just thought a reason might be good

PS: I also think a long scale guitar would add a nice tough to the music :D
  8. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Why dont you just get a guitar and an octaver pedal and switch it on when you need bass and switch it off when you need guitar. This I think would be the easiest soloution to what yor proposing without buying a guitar and bass in one of course.

Another alternative is to get a really high strap for your bass and a really low strap for a guitar and wear both of them for the song that requires it.

Or you could have some sort of stand made that just holds a guitar at the right playing height infront of you so you can walk up and play it without having to do anything with your bass (apart from turning down the volume).

Maybe theres a pedal to bring the bass up an octave and you could use a five string with EADGC tuning(or just stick to the four).

Or perhaps theres somesort of bass midi that can replicate a guitar.

Or you could just double the part on the bass which I think sounds cool somtimes.

Or you could find a second guitarist.

Or your guitarist could get a whammy pedal that allows him to play the riff and the riff an interval apart at the same time.

Or maybe he could use a chorus pedal to fill out the sound a bit.

Or he could use some sort of looper or record a backing track to play along with live.

Ok I'm out of ideas for now but there's one or two alternatives that you could try. WAIT! one more, you could get the double neck bass you were talking about and replace one of the necks with a guitar neck but that would most likely involve heavy modification and expense. But consider all the altenatives first
  9. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Have someone make you one of these puppies:

(Warmoth doubleneck P-Bass/Strat combo)
  10. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

or you could whack yourself in the head with a hammer and remember that you are a bass player.

(only kidding)
  11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Get a 12 string bass!
  12. +1!!!!!!

String it with a Low B on the bottom to get a 6 string bass feel, and use the top 6 as a guitar tuning

B - E - A - D - G - C - E - A - D - G - B - E

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Excellent solution!
  14. Ripper

Aug 16, 2005

looked @ that... but:

I ain't Jean, & (once again)$$$$$$$$$$$$$

besides... that could get heavy:(
  15. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    maybe he meant this, which would make a lot more sense to me.

Frankly, there's no way to cheap out on this if you want to go with a double neck. And if you do, you'll be pissed.
  16. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Here's a thought.
    Get a lefty bass (strung righty) and a righty guitar from SX.
    Cut off the bottom of the bass and the top of the guitar, and glue them together a-la that warmoth doubleneck bass/guitar.

a doubleneck bass/guitar for ~$200 and a little elbowgrease.
  17. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    How about this new Steinberger model? $579.99 at MusicYo - is that within your budget?

18. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    You could always get a Chapman Stick...but they're probably out of your price range.
  19. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    I was going to post that one :spit: .

Looks nice for the price.
  20. Ripper

Aug 16, 2005

I didn't know that Steinberger still made those... that was the main reason for cheaping out... missed one on eBay a couple months back... thanx for tellin