1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

4 to 6 strings conversion

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brian Soto, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Brian Soto

Brian Soto

Jun 4, 2014
    Comerio
    Hello friends, I have seen the fender VI bass and I wonder if I can make my 4 strings bass like that bass. The scale would be 34", I dont know if there will be problem with the other 2 thinner strings.
    I know I need a special nut, and a bridge mod, make 2 more holes for tuning pegs, etc... I dont want it BEADGB, I want it EADGBE like the fender VI. I most worry about neck and the thinner strings.

2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Finding a bridge that will be the right size will be the most difficult thing. Source that before you do anything else.

3. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    Have you looked at six string basses? Some of them have a fairly narrow string spacing and may be suitable for your purpose. You can tune them any way you like, CircleK/Kalium strings or BassStringsOnline should be able to get you the strings you need.

If you convert a four string bass you don't have to worry about the neck as long as you keep the total tension the same or close to what it was before. Bass string sets are anything but consistent. The rule of thumb is around 40 pounds per string so on a six string conversion you would run 2/3 of that or 27 pounds per string to keep the same tension. You can probably go a little higher before you max out the truss rod but I have no idea how high you could go. Those two string suppliers can help you figure out what strings would work for you. BTW, a fair number here have converted fours to fives and after playing a Squier VI for a while I am thinking of doing that myself since I have yet to find a fiver that I like in the long run.

4. Brian Soto

Brian Soto

Jun 4, 2014
    Comerio
    I really use this bass with pick most of time, I have more basses. I make simple chords sometimes I think it will suit me better like a guitar and with the multieffect pedal I can do a lot of things. Im looking for parts but I see that is more expensive do the conversion than just buying a Squirer VI.

5. The bridge would be the toughest. You may need a fixed guitar bridged drilled out for string gauge. The nut you can order blanks and cut your own. Pickups would need to be blade style.

It would be doable. But I wouldn't be able to tolerate such a tight string spacing.

6. I did it not long after I started playing. It was a Ibanez. Once you get used to the extra strings being there it's not a big deal. I sat in front of the TV and just noodled around while I watched tv.

7. Brian Soto

Brian Soto

Jun 4, 2014
    Comerio
    I think I found a bridge that maybe works,I saw using it for the same purpose in other thread. So one problem less, Still I wonder if the 2 new thinner strings will work at 34" scale.

8. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Sell off the 4 string and buy a Squier VI. Should cost about the same and will yield a better result.