1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

4 to 8 string conversion

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by comingxcurse, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Oh, Hell No!

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Go For It!

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. comingxcurse

comingxcurse

Apr 8, 2009
    Largo, FL
    :help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help:

Title says it all. But I need to know if anyone has done so how they went about it, or if you know anyone who has (and what they did) I'm definitely taking it to a luthier for the drilling part, but as for the set up, I'm doing that myself. So what works best for this?

Success? Horror Stories? Or just plain random stories?

I also plan on defretting it eventually (probably first, but there's MUCH more advise on that, then converting to an 8-string)

/Local Luthier Abuse

Here's the real kicker... This is my only bass :D
    (Tis a 33" Aslin Dane ALB-22)

[​IMG]
    :help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help:

2. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    can you gig with only an 8 string? ahh fux0r it, do the conversion!

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    If the nut is less than 1.75" wide, I wouldn't do it. If the back of the headstock where it joins the neck is thin, with no volute, I wouldn't do it. If the neck flexes easily (while wearing the bass, grab the upper horn with one hand and the headstock with the other, and flex) I wouldn't do it.

If the nut is wide enough, the headstock joint is thick enough, and the neck is stiff enough, then hellz yeah go for it.

4. comingxcurse

comingxcurse

Apr 8, 2009
    Largo, FL
    Thanks man.

+1.75 - Check (Barely)
    Volute - Check

It's a pretty thin neck despite the volute. Including that its about .90"

The neck is pretty resistant to flexing. I'm not positive of the neck wood, I've read its hard maple/rosewood (neck-thru)

5. but don't remove the frets!!!

6. dewi

dewi

Nov 10, 2008
    yeah, do not remove the frets. I have a Marcus Miller 4 string with no frets. Its cool at first, but you will kick yourself. Believe me

7. comingxcurse

comingxcurse

Apr 8, 2009
    Largo, FL
    What's wrong with the fret removal?:confused:

Most people on the defretting forum are elated with how their basses sound. And my playing is better suited for a fretless.

I've already got the wood strips picked out that I'm going to be replacing the frets with. There's always sand paper, tape and a soldering iron lying around in a basement. All I need is the lacquer and fret removal tool (and time)

8. comingxcurse

comingxcurse

Apr 8, 2009
    Largo, FL
    IMAG0007_1.

Years later, after massive fret abuse... It's now a fretless.

I didn't go the 8 string route, but with a whammy bar. And she's since regained status as no. 1.

spanndrew and Bob_Ross like this.
  9. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

i believe they mean don't defret an 8-string, probably due to intonation issues.

as for the 8-string conversion itself, i did this once with a fender-spec body. i used a warmoth 8-string conversion neck and a schaller roller 8-string bridge (separate saddles for each string to alleviate intonation issues). worked like a charm, and was also reversible.

10. iiipopes

iiipopes

May 4, 2009
    Just remember that the neck will have twice the tension on it, so assuming the neck is substantial enough, all the hardware should be double-checked for integrity and proper installation. I would recommend that one of the sets, possibly the octave set in order to assure the same sustain as the unison set, be strung through-body to keep excess shear tension off the bridge screws.

11. Awesome looking bass! Nice seeing someone else with a fretless and a trem. Here's mine
    image.