Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4 to 8ohm conversion?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jon R, Aug 26, 2003.

1. I just located a Peavey 210TVX at a price that would be hard to pass up... only problem is that it's 4ohm and I need a 8ohm cab. Can it be converted to 8ohm?

2. mastadulog

mastadulog

Jan 13, 2003
    NYC fo sheezy
    um, i think the only way you could do that is by changing the speaker

3. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Yeah, I don't think there is a way to wire it to 8 ohms without replacing the speakers. I think the only other way you could wire it would result in an impedance of 16 ohms.

4. Hmmm. Shows what I know. :D I assumed that it had 2 8ohm speakers in it and that by switching from series to parallel (or vice versa) that I'd end up with an 8ohm load.

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    if your have 4 speakers of 8 ohms, you can get an overall load of 8 ohms, but not with 2.

6. goran

goran

Dec 17, 2002
    Croatia
    Endorsing Artist: Bartolini
    Try connecting 4 ohm resistor (if you can find one) in series with speakers.

I don't know if it will alter your sound.

Still, it is worth a try if you really want to buy that cab.

7. goran

goran

Dec 17, 2002
    Croatia
    I forgot to say something about power loss. Speakers will get only 50% of power from your amplifier. Other half will dissipate on resistor so you will have to drive your amp harder. I would recomend waiting for a better shot with some other 2x10 cabinet.

8. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO that wee resistor will fry, have you anyidea how hot it would get? DO NOT under any circumstances add a 4 ohm resistor!

9. goran

goran

Dec 17, 2002
    Croatia
    Oops, it was just idea. I always wondered if it could be done. I guess I shouldn't recommend stuff that I haven't tried first to other people. Thanks for enlightenment.

10. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    A speaker cabinet with 2 8ohm speakers can be wired 2 different ways.

If the speakers are wired in series, it would be a 16ohm cab.
    If they are wired parallel, it would be a 4ohm cab.

Does the cabinet also have a horn (with a crossover)?
    If so, you may not be able to rewire the cabinet without affecting the crossover point. Going from 4ohm to 16ohm may change the crossover frequency.

11. Hi,

I've got a similar question:

My cabinet is a Peavey 410 TVX, 8 Ohm, 350 Watt RMS and it's got four 10 inch Sheffield TVX 1035-8 Ohm-MI Speakers.

Now, would it be possible to rewire this cabinet to 4 Ohm??

I don't need a 4 ohm cabinet, but it might be nice to know if it would work out...

Thanks,
    Bart

12. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    No, it's not possible. It can be wired to 2 ohms in parallel, 8 ohms in series-parallel (as you have it), or 32 ohms in series.

13. Thanks!