4 track inputs

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by pwl_311, Jul 18, 2001.

1. pwl_311

Feb 23, 2001
    I am wanting to buy a for track for me and my band, but am worried about the inputs that they come with. I cannot tell from the pictures whether or not the recorder has inputs for a microphone cable. I don't know what that type of input that is called, but I don't mean the 1/4". I mean the circular one with three prongs in it. The recorder I have been looking at would be a Tascam 414 or 424 portastudio, but do other higher quality analog 4 tracks also have those inputs for a microphone? Thank you
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    The type of input you're looking for is called XLR. Some four tracks have them, some don't ...my Yahama MD4s has two XLR inputs and two 1/4" inputs. It is possible to run XLR (low impedence) plugs into 1/4" (high impedence) inputs, but you have to use a converter/adapter for that. You can buy these at Radio Shack for anywhere between $6-$12 apiece. It's no big deal.

Where you can run into trouble is with your choice of mics. If you plan on using dynamic mics, then you have no problem. If you want to use condenser mics, these require a power supply. Many mixers have a built in feature called "phantom power" which supplies to the mic. It's a safe bet that if a 4-track doesn't have XLR inputs, it also doesn't have phantom power....which means that if you want to use condenser mics you'll have to power them externally. But like I said, if you plan on sticking with dynamic mics, then you have no problem.
  3. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I've got a Marantz PMD740 4 track cassette machine that we don't use anymore.
    Most of the higher-end(if you can call them that) 4 tracks have 'XLR' connections for mics. I'm not sure about the Tascam Porta series, but I know the marantz has at least 2, maybe 4 (can't check it, not at work right now).
    I was pretty happy with the sound of the Marantz, very warm and flexible, much more so than a Yamaha 8 I used to have back in the cassette days...
    let me know if you have any questions.

the track 'harmonics song' on my demo page (url below) was recorded on the Marantz pmd 740 a few years ago...
  4. templelife

Apr 24, 2001
    Miami, FL
    I have the Tascam 412 and it does have XLR inputs.