Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4-track questions

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by RoyQBiv, Nov 19, 2002.

1. RoyQBiv

RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    Okay, I'm looking at buying a 4-track to get down some ideas on tape. I'm dirt poor for the time being, so I need one that's under $150ish. I'm not looking for anything fancy. Just something that's easy to use and sounds decent. Any recommendations? I've been looking at the Tascam MF-PO1. I've seen them around for about $80.

Which brings me to another question...one of the differences between that Tascam and the next model up is the more expensive one has a Hi-Z guitar input. I know they both have 1/4 inch jacks, so what exactly is Hi-Z, and is it something that I need? Probably a stupid question, but I've looked around online and haven't found any explanations. Thanks.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Z means impedance here, this makes it a high impedance input, suited for directly plugging a passive guitar or bass into.
    You only need this when you don't use a mixer or an amp with line out.

3. RoyQBiv

RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    Ah, okay. That makes sense. Since I'm not planning on buying a mixer at this point, I was going to run it through my amp anyway so I could use the EQ. Thanks.

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I've had a Yamaha portastudio 4-track tape recorder for maybe 8 years now - the MT-50, it's served me pretty well. You can't get them any more (in fact I don't think Yamaha do analog multitracks anymore), but they brought out the MD-4 which was a digital version that recorded onto minidisks - which looked good.

...update: I've just checked the Yamaha site, they don't appear to do the MD4 anymore, or even the MD8 (the 8 track version). Ah well, if ya find a used one... ;)

EDIT: Actually, I've just thought, I probably don't need my MT-50 anymore... There's a possiblity I could sell it to you. I need to get a replacement part for it (the cover for the bit you put the tape in is broken), but other than that it works fine. It takes normal cassette tapes, but it records at double speed (better quality) and uses both sides (to get all 4 tracks). This basically means for a 90 minute tape, you get 22.5 minutes of recording time. It's a pretty neat little thing, it's worked for me, and it's good for recording demos and the like, and getting song ideas down. It's only a possibility at the moment - I'd have to archive some masters, and get the replacement part and stuff. But, if you were interested, I would sell it to ya for well under $150 I imagine (though you'd have to pay shipping - I'm in the UK).

EDIT #2: With regards to the Hi-Z issue, the Yamaha AW4416 I'm using at the moment has a Hi-Z input - and I haven't really noticed much of a difference with it. The aforementioned MT-50 doesn't have a Hi-Z input, but I've recorded my (passive) bass direct-inject into it loads of times - it sounds fine.