1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

4 track recorders

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by razorbakc, Aug 24, 2002.

1. razorbakc

razorbakc

Feb 3, 2002
    I'm wanting to get a 4-track tape recorder, but I noticed it will only record one track at a time. If it ony records one at a time, how do you match up the parts? can you hear a playback while recording other tracks?

2. What deck is this? Sounds strange to me, but there should be some instructions in the manual.

However, I would look around for a used Tascam 414 or 424 instead, or a new one, if you really want to go tape and only want 4 tracks.

It should be possible to send a monitor signal out to the person putting down the other track so that they can play along.

But you should consider going digital. There are a lot of machines that are capable of multi track recordong for under a grand. I bought a Tascam 788 and record on that then master on my PC.

I think I am going to stay with this route when I increase my number of channels. This gives me portability, easy setup and powerful mastering/post processing.

Have fun.

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    All of the ones I have seen will allow you to play back what's on the other channels, while you are recording on one.

BUT, you need a amplified speaker to connect the 4 track to.

4. razorbakc

razorbakc

Feb 3, 2002
    alright, do you plug straight in, or go trough the amp first?

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Uh, what? oh, ok, if you plug "Right in" to the 4 track, you need a DI, to run between your signal and the 4 track, for GOOD results. Or, mike your cab.

6. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I have a 424 MkIII.

I have recorded bass and guitar using line out's a Shure SM57 and for bass and acoustic guitar straight into the 1/4 jack inputs. They work ok as long as you don't expect to compete with a commercial studio.

I regard 4 tracks as a sketch pad. They are great for practice, song writing and getting rid of nerves when you go in a real studio.

The 424 has monitor levels for each track so you can select a monitor mix whilst you overdub, sing, play shakers etc. I even record a real drum kit with mine.

Always leave some budget for microphones.

Tip-I wired up my monitors (Auratones) with a Y lead and run them from the headphone socket saving me buying an amp (although I only get .5w).