4 track recorders

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by razorbakc, Aug 24, 2002.

1. razorbakc

Feb 3, 2002
    I'm wanting to get a 4-track tape recorder, but I noticed it will only record one track at a time. If it ony records one at a time, how do you match up the parts? can you hear a playback while recording other tracks?
  2. What deck is this? Sounds strange to me, but there should be some instructions in the manual.

However, I would look around for a used Tascam 414 or 424 instead, or a new one, if you really want to go tape and only want 4 tracks.

It should be possible to send a monitor signal out to the person putting down the other track so that they can play along.

But you should consider going digital. There are a lot of machines that are capable of multi track recordong for under a grand. I bought a Tascam 788 and record on that then master on my PC.

I think I am going to stay with this route when I increase my number of channels. This gives me portability, easy setup and powerful mastering/post processing.

Have fun.
  3. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    All of the ones I have seen will allow you to play back what's on the other channels, while you are recording on one.

BUT, you need a amplified speaker to connect the 4 track to.
  4. razorbakc

Feb 3, 2002
    alright, do you plug straight in, or go trough the amp first?
  5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Uh, what? oh, ok, if you plug "Right in" to the 4 track, you need a DI, to run between your signal and the 4 track, for GOOD results. Or, mike your cab.
  6. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I have a 424 MkIII.

I have recorded bass and guitar using line out's a Shure SM57 and for bass and acoustic guitar straight into the 1/4 jack inputs. They work ok as long as you don't expect to compete with a commercial studio.

I regard 4 tracks as a sketch pad. They are great for practice, song writing and getting rid of nerves when you go in a real studio.

The 424 has monitor levels for each track so you can select a monitor mix whilst you overdub, sing, play shakers etc. I even record a real drum kit with mine.

Always leave some budget for microphones.

Tip-I wired up my monitors (Auratones) with a Y lead and run them from the headphone socket saving me buying an amp (although I only get .5w).