1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

4-track recording on an iPad

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Ukiah Bass, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    Haven't seen much discussion on this, probably because it won't be shipping 'till August. The Alesis iO Mix will let you do 4-track recording directly into an iPad using most DAW apps for iPad. XLR and quarter inch inputs. Price will be about $300 street. Looks like it could be a winner for portable 4-track recording.

Specs: http://www.alesis.com/iomix

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JavierFarias

JavierFarias

Feb 9, 2011
    Chile
    I probably don't need this, but I want it.

3. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Noob question here (and I don't mean to derail the thread). When I think of XLR connections, I think of those 3 prongs (male) going into three little holes (female). The cables are usually called Male to Female. What kind of XLR connection is this on the Alesis? What is the name of the cable you would use?

EDIT: Oh never mind. I see it now.

4. Musicphan

Musicphan

Oct 11, 2008
    Those are combo input's... XLR or 1/4"

5. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    XLR inputs can be from a microphone or a DI. Ditto for the quarter inch jacks. You could also put a cheap minimixer in front of this box. Read the Alesis link for full details.

6. They are commonly called "combo" jacks. They can accept either XLR plugs, or 1/4in plugs. Most audio interfaces use separate, XLR plugs for microphones and 1/4in plugs for instruments. With the combo jack, you can plug in either a microphone XLR, or an instrument 1/4in into the same jack. The circuitry inside detects which type of cable you have plugged in.

7. redname

redname

Apr 30, 2010
    you've just made me want to get myself something (again)

8. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    This Alesis looks great. Perfect for multifunction. In fact replace your live pre-amp with this using any of the modeling options for iPad.

And there's the Mackie DL1608, (I've $800 to $1000) it only does 2 channels to the ipad, but you can pull out the iPad and control the whole mixer wireless. Walk around and mix where you are standing. No snake.

[​IMG]

In fact quite a few digital mixers are coming out with iPad as a control surface and recording to the iPad.

9. Story of my life, my friend...