Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4 Track to Comp problems

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by ImNotGeddyLee, Apr 7, 2001.

1. Ok i am using a simple small 4 track analog recorder for my bands demo. It is all set and done and sounds GREAT. the quality is surprisingly good on the tape.
    Now here is the problem.
    I tried lining out to my computer so I could save the songs as wav and mp3 so I can put them online and on cd. The problem is I lose ALOT of sound quality when I do this. Even if i have the recorder plugged in and press play, it comes through my speakers and is sounds very muddy. Now i am not sure about my soundcard (no name comp, no name sound card) but the speakers and excellent. What cuold i do to fix this? I am pretty sure its my sound card but what do you guys think i should do for an easy... and prefferably inexpensive solution?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hm, that card obviously isn't very good.
    But I any case check the Multimedia(?) tab in your Windows control center. There are settings for the hardware acceleration of your sound card and for the sampling rate. Set both on max.
    Use the line out of the 4-track and connect it to your soundcard's line in. Don't use the mic in, that input usually is very crappy.
    If you want to buy a cheap soundcard that's ok for recording, get the cheap version of the Soundblaster Live! by Creative Labs. It's not the fastest out there (sh!tty drivers for audio recording) - e.g. high latency with Cubase - but it should be good enough for what you want to do.
    I use one and have no complaints about the sound - it's just not a pro card.

3. thanx a lot... i was planning on getting a decent sound card soon anyway(maybe not lowest but the one higher; x-gamer or mp3live but OEM so its MUCH CHEAPER but i dont get the software). Hopefully this will help.

4. ravedj1

ravedj1

Dec 23, 2000
    "Use the line out of the 4-track and connect it to your soundcard's line in. Don't use the mic in, that input usually is very crappy."

I've been recording on my computer through a small mixing board with Cakewalk Pro Audio 9, and I found just the opposite with my sound card; at first I had it in the Line In, but it was really faint and crappy. I then plugged into the Mic input and it sounds very good. The sound card is not great (it's whatever comes with an Emachine) but it sounds good.