1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

4-track to PC

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Justin V, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I've been wondering how to convert the songs my friends and I have been recording into mp3. The 4-track's a Tascam Porta 02. I was thinking that I would need to do something with my sound card, but I wasn't sure.

In advance, thanx to all responses.

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Line out of the Porta 02 -> line in of the sound card, record audio on your PC by using any recording software, and convert them to mp3 using your tool of choice.

You might need a gang of adapters to get the right end to plug into the computer. What connectors do you have on the 4-track and your sound card?

3. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    That's what I was figuring I would have to do. Thanx. The Porta's got RCA outs and my sound card (a cheap piece of trash) only has an 1/8" port. Luckily, I've already got an adapter for that sitting around.

BTW, know any good recording software?

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I recommend Goldwave, www.goldwave.com - a powerful tool and AFAIK you don't have to pay for it if you don't want to (although I recommend doing so just to keep the software alive). And I find no time limit or other limitations to the demo except for a registration reminder (which can get annoying, but all you need to do is restart the software and it won't come up in a while).

5. Kraken

Kraken

Jun 19, 2001
    Aylesbury, England
    For the Not so cheap option, which I'm considering, you could buy a Soundblaster Audigy Platinum (I think it's called that) package not only does the Drive have a 5.5mm input but it also comes with a copy of Cubase in the software bundle.

Note at £150+ it may not be a viable thing for everyone, but certainly worth a look

try

www.europe.creative.com

See for yourself

;)

Yeah forgot to put the disclaimer, Duh!

I Haven't tried This Soundcard YET!!! and I am in no way affiliated to the company that made it

So check it out for yourself before you buy