Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4-track to PC

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Justin V, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I've been wondering how to convert the songs my friends and I have been recording into mp3. The 4-track's a Tascam Porta 02. I was thinking that I would need to do something with my sound card, but I wasn't sure.

In advance, thanx to all responses.

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Line out of the Porta 02 -> line in of the sound card, record audio on your PC by using any recording software, and convert them to mp3 using your tool of choice.

You might need a gang of adapters to get the right end to plug into the computer. What connectors do you have on the 4-track and your sound card?

3. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    That's what I was figuring I would have to do. Thanx. The Porta's got RCA outs and my sound card (a cheap piece of trash) only has an 1/8" port. Luckily, I've already got an adapter for that sitting around.

BTW, know any good recording software?

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I recommend Goldwave, www.goldwave.com - a powerful tool and AFAIK you don't have to pay for it if you don't want to (although I recommend doing so just to keep the software alive). And I find no time limit or other limitations to the demo except for a registration reminder (which can get annoying, but all you need to do is restart the software and it won't come up in a while).

5. Kraken

Kraken

Jun 19, 2001
    Aylesbury, England
    For the Not so cheap option, which I'm considering, you could buy a Soundblaster Audigy Platinum (I think it's called that) package not only does the Drive have a 5.5mm input but it also comes with a copy of Cubase in the software bundle.

Note at £150+ it may not be a viable thing for everyone, but certainly worth a look

try

www.europe.creative.com

See for yourself

;)

Yeah forgot to put the disclaimer, Duh!

I Haven't tried This Soundcard YET!!! and I am in no way affiliated to the company that made it

So check it out for yourself before you buy