4 vs 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by peasandpotatoes, Mar 1, 2006.

1. ok ive decided to get a new bass, and im thinking maybe i should get a five again. i started out on fretless 4, moved to fretted 5, and now im at fretted 4. is it better to drop tune a four string to drop c (c-g-c-f) or should i just get a 5 string?
  2. Get a 5 or even a 6 maybe. The extended range is good for helping with your hand positioning as much as giving you the extra notes.

Just my opinion.
  3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The better choice is whatever works better for you. That said, I highly recommend fiver because you might need upper register notes from time to time... the fiver not only has more of them, it gives you much easier access to them.
  4. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    What would be the advantage of drop-tuning a four-string? If the idea is just to get more range, and the larger dimensions of the five-string neck is not an issue, I would just get a fiver...

5. snapple

Nov 25, 2003
    Victoria-Vancouver Canada
    Endorsing Artist: PCL Vintage Amps
    i would definitely go 5 unless you plan on doing fast runs and such... judging by that tuning you are playing metal or something on the heavier side, and I find that its way easier to play fast licks on a 4.
  6. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    My choice would be the 5. Though, I've been using 5-strings since around '98.

I use the extended range all the time, even when guitars in E or drop D, I still go down to B-C pretty often.

But the main reason I use a 5-string is because a 5-string bass looks way sicker than just about any guitar. :D
  7. Chazzz

Jan 27, 2006
    Spokane, WA
    Yeah - almost as sick as a 6-string... but I think that's another thread. ;)

I say go 5.
  8. steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    I have 4, 5 and 6 strings. They are all great. I play them on any song in any combination. It's whatever I feel like at that time. Don't let anyone fool you that a 5 string is going to help you be a better player or give you and edge over another player. It's all about the choices you make with the bass you have in your hands. It will do what you tell it to do. You are the boss. Play whatever makes the best music in your hands.