1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

4 Way Stops

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Flabby1, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Flabby1

Flabby1 Guest

Sep 23, 2007
    Anyone else get annoyed by the folks that dont' understand the simple nature of the 4 way stop and who has the right away and just wave you through even tho they stopped a good 3 seconds before you?

You may be thinking why should i be annoyed if they waved me through and let me go 1st, they're nice.

no their unattentive genius' with no clue as to how annoying they really are.

I pull up to the stop you've been stopped 3 seconds, I'm waiting 2 seconds for you to go, I'm wondering what in the world is your freaking deal, then you wave me through like you're doing me a favor, no i woudln't have minded going second cause it would have saved me time rather than waiting on you to try and direct traffic from your yukon.
    Go when you're freaking supposed to and everything will move smoothly the way it was designed too.
    I swear this is some sort of passive aggressive power control freak deal. who knows, i dont' really mind tho :D

2. Do you not have anything better to complain about?

3. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Theres a traffic light on the way to my work and i swear, the east/west lights last like 5 minutes, the north/south ones are like 15 seconds. That pissed me off in the morning, especcially when I am driving. When My mom is driving not so much. But damn..What the hell!!!

4. Flabby1

Flabby1 Guest

Sep 23, 2007
    don't get me started

5. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I wave everyone with my my middle finger. That's how we do it in California.

6. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    I seriously think that it's way too easy to get a driver license. They should increase the mandatory road hours, toughen up the written exam, and make driver ed courses mandatory for everybody, not just teens. Oh, and make those courses so you actually get graded (ala not a total joke and waste of time).

Think about it. A barber needs 1200 hours of training to get licensed to cut your hair. Most states only require 10-20 hours of road time and an incredibly easy written "exam" to allow you to operate a few thousand pound dangerous machine.

7. You guys would have a heart attack if you had to deal with roundabouts (even tho they are easy as pie! =~3.14)

8. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    At least most of your drivers are taller than their steering wheel. We have to look in their side view mirror to see their blue hair.

9. yeah you could of gotten wherever you were goining a second earlier... assholes now you spending 1 second less than you wanted to... you might be late

10. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    I'm actually surprised I don't see this more often with the crappy drivers we have around here. I've actually only been flipped off once when some guy pulled around me when I stopped to led a ped cross. He flipped me off and then swerved to avoid the ped. What a douche.

We have a roundabout here. It's in the back neighborhoods, whcih IMO is the wierdest place they could possibly put it. People get it right though usually.

11. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    I agree with the O.P. and I have to deal with it nearly every day. It's not a matter of being inconvenienced for a few seconds, it's the fact that during the morning and evening rush when the traffic is stop-and-go in all four directions and 9 out of 10 drivers understand how to:

1) pull up to the line
    2) wait for those who arrived at the line before them to go and
    3) go when it's their turn

and the 1 driver in 10 thinks they're doing everyone else in the intersection a favor by arbitrarily waving cars through when it's not their turn. At the very least, it gums up traffic for a few seconds, but it does cause accidents and I did see one fender bender that was caused by exactly this moronic behavior.

12. bassaficionado6

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    I'm actually not sure if I hate this more or if I hate it more when some guy tries to go when you're in the middle of the intersection and nearly tbones you.

13. ubado

ubado Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2007
    FL
    Here we have drivers who STOP at YIELD signs... when nobody is comming. :rollno:
    ( I guess the pointed RED and White signs confuse them :smug:)

4-Way stops are a cluster ... well you can guess what.

14. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    I go through a traffic circle and 2 4- way stops on the way to work. If you hang back from the stop line as you approach, usually the person that got there marginally before you gets the idea and goes through. If you arrive simultaneously, the person to the opposing drivers' right gets to go first, right?

15. bassaficionado6

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    What if four cars arrived simulatneously?

16. bloodfairy13

bloodfairy13

Feb 27, 2004
    Kentucky
    my favorite is when I'm stopped at the three way, and incoming traffic has the right of way, and either incoming traffic stops like there's a sign, or everyone else completely ignores the fact that it's my turn...
    which of course makes me want to gun it and let them hit me...
    but then I would be late for work...and that sucks...

17. I only wave people through at a stop sign if they have the right-a-way, or I am changing cds. Roundabouts are the best invention ever, there was one put in at a spot where traffic used to back up for several kilometers, now traffic just slows down a bit.

lowsound

18. Thankfully I've never seen a 4-way stop and the closest I've seen to that is when traffic lights at intersections go out and it's anarchy with people just forcing their way through until the police start directing traffic.

In these situations it's great having a lifted 4WD, both for the visibility it allows and the "force through factor" that is only matched by other 4WD's and bettered by trucks :D :D

19. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
  20. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I think they should all get out and cage match it to determine who goes first.

What about roundabouts with yield signs?