Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4 X 10 or 2 X 12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by predmachine, Mar 13, 2006.

1. predmachine

predmachine

Feb 23, 2006
    I need a little amp advice. I'm trying to decide whether to purchase an Eden Nemesis 4 X 10 or a 2x12 by the same company. Both are rated at 320 RMS. Which is better? I play mostly Police, Rush, Beatles, etc. plus a little Southern Rock. Most of the rooms I paly in are 100-200 people and the neither the guitarists nor the drummer are especially loud. I'm looking to the expert opinions of this forum since I'm sure most of you are more knowledgeable than I am (or than my salesman). Thanks.

2. It's a matter of personal preference and what sounds best to you. I play a 2x12 and a 2x10 together but for a few songs a nite I'll turn the volume for the 2x10s off and play thru just the 12's. The 12's sound a little fatter and squshier IMO - which I like.

The cab's I have aren't Eden though, so they may be different. But I still think no matter what it comes down to what your ears like to hear.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    a 2x12 will fill in a rather sparse sound. but if you'd like to punch out from underneath the guitarists, then the 4x10 by a long shot.

10" speakers will always be faster and more punchier thru the mix than 12" speakers.

4. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    In general, I think the 2-12 would be better for everything except the Rush stuff, but I vaugly remember likeing the Nemesis 4-10 slightly better than the Nemesis 2-12. Then again, I tried them out over 10 years ago, and ended up going in a completely different direction.

5. I played through a 4x10 and a 2x12 (seperately) and i'd have to say I imagine that a 2x12 would be nice and thick (sorta like a 15 but with more speed), whereas i was turned off by 4x10's cuz they seem a little sterile.....then again this is coming from a guy that always played through 15s

6. 212.
    I've never experienced any nemesis cabs, but generally a 212 should sound better than a 410 for a more old school sound.

7. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've owned an Aguilar GS410 and still have 2 GS112s. I personally love 10" cabs, they are faster, with more mids and work better for my sound. I've kept my GS112s because they are great little cabs that sound way bigger than they are. I think it's a matter of preference. IMO 12s are more rounded and the sound goes farther away than 10s. They are also more bassy and have less mids (keep in mind I'm comparing Aguilars; other brands may be different).
    I too think that maybe 12s are better suited for old-school vintage rock since most of those bands used 12" or 15" cabs back then. Then again IMO 410s are the best stand alone cabs available. If I could only have one cab I'd own a 410. I think you'd love both. Get the one that's lighter and cheaper if that makes any difference:meh:

I hope this helped or maybe confused you even more:D

8. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    FWIW I recently went from a setup running a 4x10 and a 1x15 (both 8 ohms) and switched to a 4ohm 2x12 and am very impressed with how the sound has improved I like the volume as well as the clarity that I get from the 2x12. I also think that I've got enough bottom, and the highs are perfect for me.

Rob

9. predmachine

predmachine

Feb 23, 2006
    Thanks to everyone for their input. I always appreciate the friendly and useful advice I get on Talkbass. This is a great site!

10. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    I tried both Eden Nemesis rigs - the 4x10 combo and the 2x12. Someone here reffered to the 4x10 as sterlie, I think this is a good way of describing it. I thought it was also going to be louder. The 2x12 had a much fatter sound and kept up well with the rest of the band.

11. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    For your situation, I'd say 212. Also ask for opinions and suggestions at the Eden forum: www.eden-electronics.com/forum/