1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

40-120 5 string set. Too light for tuning down 1/2 Step?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by groveofbass, Aug 31, 2005.

1. I been starting to wonder about trying out a set of light guage strings on my bass. I played a local guitar shop owner's bass that had the best set up with the lowest action ive played and he used 40-120 guages. Would these be to light of a guage to tune down a half step (Bb - Gb) and still retain enough tightness to get low action? I play a spector Euro-5 (this should give you an idea of the level of craftmanship on my bass).

Has anyone here ever tried tuning down on a lighter guage? What were the results?

Thanks,
    Dan

2. Bump.

Come on. Can you tune down a 120 B string to a Bb and still not have flop?

3. From what I have read hear it's more than the gauge of the string that will make a floppy B string.

The best I can tell you is, the heavier the gauge is, the more tension you will get, so a lighter gauge string will have less.

If you are using a heavier gauge now and it seems to be floppy it will be worse with a lighter gauge.

EDIT:

Is your Euro 5 a 34" or 35" scale? That may help, but there are plenty of basses out there with a 34" scale and have a great B string.

Tuning down a half step with your bass and a light gauge string just might work out well as long as it is set up properly. Just make sure whom ever sets up your bass does it tuned down.

Again, I think you will still have to compare the flop factor with the gauge you are using now.

4. Im currently using a 125 and its pretty tight. Im just askin about the 120 for curiosity's sake, and its cheaper than buying one and finding out for myself