1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

40-95 Bass restrung with 40-100. Would that cause any setup/fret buzz issues?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HazyMan, Oct 25, 2018.

1. HazyMan

HazyMan

Feb 21, 2018
    Two questions.
    1) It's in the title. I currently have 40-60-75-95 gauge strings and i am thinking of getting some Sadowsky blue labels. However, they are 40-60-80-100 gauge. Would that cause any setup issues?

2) Here is a similar question... if i don't get those blue labels, i might get Ernie Ball Cobalt Flats. However, they come in a 40-60-70-95 gauge instead of a 40-60-75-95 gauge. Would that cause any problems within the A string?

Note: My bass string height is rather low. If you want any more information, i'll be able to give some more info by MONDAY.

Thanks for reading!

2. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    You're thinking about this the wrong way. You can make some generalizations about what adjustments would be needed if you did a drastic string change but you should expect to re-set up your bass with every change even if you're using the exact same strings. It's part of regular maintenance. Maybe the bass will play exactly the same and maybe it won't.

3. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    No, and no.

As Gorn above notes, it's pretty normal to need to tweak after most string changes even if they're the same strings. I don't usually have to, but my necks are quite stable. I do check after any string change regardless. But you're not really doing anything major as far as changes go.

4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Nothing that can't be fixed in a few minutes with basic tools.
    This is part of being a competent bass player.

5. HazyMan

HazyMan

Feb 21, 2018
    Thanks to everyone! I am just way too afraid to set up my bass. I don't know which tools i will need and i've never done anything like that before, except badly adjusting the truss rod of my old bass...

6. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson!

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    64 Audio · DR Strings · Source Audio · Hipshot
    Getting over the fear is a huge step in maintaining your instruments. If you decide to try it, go sloooow, and only make small adjustments. If you do that, you should have no issues. It's when people go crazy with adjustments that things can go wrong and break.

I would imagine that you might need a slight tweak of the truss rod, but maybe not. Action should stay the same between the 2 gauges, but intonation will likely need to be done. I usually check intonation after changing the strings on any bass, even if it's the same brand and gauge. Beyond that, you should be good. If you're still nervous, maybe take it to a tech who will teach you/ let you watch?

BrentSimons and HazyMan like this.
  7. C_Becker

C_Becker

Mar 30, 2017
    Germany
    Doing a basic setup isn't rocket science. Take a look at this thread, it is all explained in there:
    ALL BASIC SETUP QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE

Eric DK, lz4005 and HazyMan like this.
  8. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Relatively minor changes in string gauge/manufacturer/composition usually benefits from a small tweak to the set up to dial in the height and/or intonation. Nothing to be scared of, it's really as simple and necessary as checking and adding fluids to your car.

C_Becker and lz4005 like this.
  9. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Usually two hex keys and a screwdriver. If you bought the bass new, they probably came with it. And a good tuner.
    This is basic stuff. Read the instructions in the sticky post that was linked.

C_Becker and HazyMan like this.
  10. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Honestly, it just takes being methodical and a bit patient. If you have enough digital dexterity to play the bass, you have sufficient hand-eye coordination to make small neck relief or action adjustments. For real. You have the ability already in your hands.

All the "here's what you do" bit I could say has been said above and many other places. Tools-wise, all my basses have been adjustable via a 4mm hex wrench for the truss rod and a 1.5mm hex wrench for the bridge saddles, OR a small electronics-kit flathead screwdriver for the bridge saddles and a normal medium-size Philips head screwdriver for the truss rod nut (these mainly for Fender & Fender-type). And a screwdriver for intonation adjustments, pretty much universally (honestly, getting one nifty modular screwdriver will make your life easier in both bass'ing and just life). But also, a set of small metric hex wrenches at Lowe's will cost like $4 and set you up good.

Also, remember that your instrument is made of organic materials. I just had to do some cranking on my nice 5-string bass's truss rod because its neck settled in this summer and decided to bow a bit...and nope, I hadn't replaced the strings or done anything else with it besides play it. I like having its action very low so I've been working on it for days getting the neck just right and lowering/raising the action to get it where I want.

BrentSimons likes this.
  11. Turbo Sparky

Turbo Sparky Supporting Member

May 14, 2018
    South Eastern U.S.
    All as above. routine.
    Tools:
    18" METAL straight-edge (not a traditional ruler). Couple bucks at box hardware store.
    Appropriate hex/Allen size key for Truss rod. NEVER use one that is "just a little bit smaller...ever.
    Appropriately headed screwdriver for intonation adjustments.
    Appropriately sized hex/Allen key for adjusting string height at the saddles.
    Tuner of choice.
    Clean rag/cloth for wipe downs.
    Several good tutorials on net for basic set-ups. There's one put out by Fodera that is pretty good.
    Total cost for above: About $20 U.S. (not including tuner of choice)
    A LITTLE can go a LONG way when adjusting Truss rod!
    Good Luck!

BrentSimons likes this.
  12. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Rhode Island
    I would not expect a major difference with small gauge changes. The tension of the new strings is what really matters, and going slightly heavier might require some setup tweaks if you want super low action. Anytime you're changing strings, you might need to do the minor adjustments that others are describing. Any new string could require an intonation tweak.

As far as making setup changes, especially truss rod: quarter turn and stop! saddles and intonation, half to one rotation and stop. If it's playable, just restring it and don't touch it for a day and then see what you think. If anything, the new strings are less likely to have fret buzz (going up in gauge) -- but not a guarantee.

I'd bet you don't need to touch the truss rod. Don't sweat it.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    BrentSimons likes this.