1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

$40 a good deal on a squier?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jamestown94west, Jul 24, 2012.

1. ive found a squier p bass special on craigslist. i tried to trade for it awhile back, but i wasnt in a position to buy it and the deal fell thru. now i have a place to stash the bass for awhile, and the guy has knocked the price all the way down to $40. are these basses any good? at $40 its hard to go wrong, but i dont want to waste my time going to look at it if its a dog. im probably going to mod it some, i have some parts laying around i didnt use on my newest acquisition. im assuming i have the model of the bass right, it looks like a fairly standard squier model p bass, burst finish, white pick guard, rosewood fretboard, and a p/j pickup arrangement.

2. DO IT!!! It's only $40!!!

My GuitarCenter had the same bass last time I was there (2000 year model) for $150. I woulda bought if I had the cash.

3. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Yes, the P/J pup arrangement should make it a Precision Special ... P body, with Jazz neck ... if this is an Indonesian make, this neck profile is very nice, same as used on the Squier Standard Series Jazz, which in essence evolved into the VM Series .. these basses can be heavy, but there are a few on here that have these and like them alot .. I was never thrilled with them other than the neck, but for that price its a no brainer ...

4. RadioactiveGuy4

RadioactiveGuy4 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    Do it. $40.00 is nothing for a bass.

5. $40? It would have been a done deal!!!

6. DON´T DO IT! it´s too much, I´ll handle it.

7. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    $40 is a steal for any functional bass.

8. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Unless it's a mess of a bass...

Cheers,
    Wallace

9. Mr L

Mr L

Jul 22, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    I would do it. I bought one for $50 about a month ago, never looked back. 40 bucks is a steal man.

10. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA
    Unless it's coated in ebola or something, GET IT. Or did Justin Bieber touch it? Bieber'd instruments lose 10000% of their value, usually.

11. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Gimme Mariah back kid, it's not your playground!

Cheers,
    Wallace

12. Definitely go for it. Unless it's totally borked, $40 is a steal "even for a Squier".

13. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA
    It would be a good price even if you only got pickups and a neck :D

14. scarab

scarab

Jul 25, 2012
    dude go for it

15. Will Kelly

Will Kelly

Mar 3, 2010
    TX
    Forty bucks?

Way way way too much for a Squire. I wouldn't touch it at that price. Those are made in Craponesia, with slave labor, horrible fretwork , green wood, and electronice made from radioactive components.

Seriously, you have major malfunction if you need to ask in a public forum how to spend forty dollars, especially over a functioning musical instrument.

16. jbossolo

jbossolo

Sep 22, 2011
    Tell him that just as a favor you'll give him $35 "cashola" on the spot. He'll take it, and you'll come out like a thief. Literally.

17. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Apr 9, 2011
    Are you joking..?

18. $40? For a P bass? The guy's drastically overcharging. Have him drop the price to $5. Then it'll be worth the cash.

19. jbossolo

jbossolo

Sep 22, 2011
    It's a tough crowd here.

20. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Buy it. Even if the neck is crap, you would not be sorry