1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

40 days of bass! The cure for G.A.S.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tb-player, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Yeah man. Say no to GAS!

2. Nah! GAS is cool.

3. Chill bro. Eat a carrot.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. tb-player

tb-player the bass player Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2019
    I’ve been posting about selling basses, keeping basses, then selling basses again. After much self-analysis, I have come to the conclusion that much of this back & forth has been fueled by my tendency to be a perpetual shopper, when it comes to bass. Okay, it’s not a tendency. It’s an addiction. So last night, I made a quality decision and I think it’s going to be awesome.

Beginning today, for the next 40 days, my goal is to intentionally NOT look at basses online. Yep, no more Sweetwater, GC, Bass Club Chicago...etc. And yes, that includes the ever-tempting TB Classifieds.

My goal is to stop shopping completely, and commit to filling that void with focused, intentional practice. Instead of drooling over the instruments I don’t have, I will enjoy the instruments I do have.

I’ll still leave my basses/guitars up for sale. If they go, they go. If not, that’s fine too. But if they do sell, I won’t replace them until after Nov 1st (my 40th day).

(I’m also adding in a commitment to exercise no less than 5 days a week and maybe even cut out sodas. Taking my life back, dangit!)

Of course, I know me. The probability is high that I will fail miserably at all this. But it’s worth the effort, right? What’s that old saying? “Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you’re still endlessly floating in the void of space, alone... facing inevitable death.”

Who’s with me??? :chicken::D

2. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Right there with you. I’ve had a terrible window shopping habit. I bought the last cab I was drooling over, and NBD inbound tomorrow. It better be an end to the window shopping- otherwise it will end my marriage! :eek: ;)

Resuming my practice journal, hoping to add some more focus and direction to my wood shed routine.

(I’m ramping up the exercise and cleaning up the diet as well. Good luck to you! :thumbsup:)

3. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    Thanks! When I share about buying/selling gear, it's bit tongue-in-cheek. But then again, all humor is based in truth. Mine is REALLY based in truth. Day 1 is halfway over and its been a bit harder than I thought...lol.

4. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    Of course, Instagram knows me... and isn’t helping. o_O

026060E6-6C3A-4436-9BA5-2EC24371094D.jpeg

5. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I’ve learned if you post about fighting/beating GAS around here, you’re gonna get ribbed. And if you are looking at the local classifieds for the 20th time after swearing you won’t, you just gotta laugh. Humor is your friend! :laugh: :smug:

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  6. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    It all makes me laugh. Except when it doesn’t. :rollno:

EatS1stBassist and CallMeAl like this.
  7. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I am not with you. OK, maybe no sodas, that's a good call.
    027309948928_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=RFo746qi8WoAX_Ce93W&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.jpg

8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:wideyed:

i'm trying to keep track:
    - you were going to sell them all and then
    - you were going to keep them all, and then
    - you listed them again (a la: comme ci comme ca) and now
    - you're going to avoid GAS by practicing?

:laugh:

9. JRA

:laugh: get out now --- while you still have your dignity!

these are fun!
    51-A96oBK1L._AC_SX425_.jpg

10. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    Haha... to be fair, I'm going to avoid GAS by not looking at basses. I'm going to fill the bass void with practice.

And don't forget--
    I'm going to post about it even though I know that's not the wisest thing to do.

11. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    Good thinking. I never said I wouldn't shop for accordions. :thumbsup:

I lost my dignity after I relisted the basses for sale the 18th time.

:facepalm:

12. JRA

that's right...thanks for clearing that up for me! ;)
    :laugh:
    ;) (it could get you through some rough moments!) :thumbsup:

Outshined91 and tb-player like this.
  13. sonojono

sonojono Supporting Member

Sounds like you’ve stumbled upon this video to help curb your GAS.

mikewalker, Joe Murray and subtlestew like this.
  14. Old Fart

Old Fart Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Wait. Are you suggesting that practicing and learning to play better is NOT better strategy for sounding good than buying more gear? This is deeply disturbing.

15. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    How will you keep track of the survey results?

Outshined91 and mikewalker like this.
  16. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    Giving up soda for water makes a big difference. If I'm going to go for calories, its going to be beer. Or whiskey. Soda is a waste of bad calories.

17. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I have an Instagram account, separate from my personal/musician account, that just follows bass building companies and custom luthiers. Don't deny yourself the pleasure of looking at bass p0rn, just find a way to stop connecting that with actually buying the pretty things :laugh:

tb-player likes this.
  18. HardNHeavy

HardNHeavy

Apr 17, 2014
    PA
    hey, im married but i can still look at the other food:D........ a bass is still gonna sound like a bass at the end of the day, no matter what brand, color, woodgrain or pricetag...good yo get rid of the excess fat so to speak, and downsize.....good luck!!

EatS1stBassist and tb-player like this.
  19. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Less ebay, more Mel Bay. Good call. You got this.

20. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    This one actually made me laugh out loud.