1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

-40 degrees??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by aqsw, Sep 27, 2010.

1. aqsw

aqsw

May 28, 2006
    My daughter brings in her EB,DB, and Acoustic Image Contra after all gigs, but she just got a Mesa powerhouse 210 and it's a little too heavy for her to transport into the house. Just wondering if we could leave the Mesa in the vehicle till the morning when I can bring it in. It gets mighty cold up here in the winter. (-35-40) some nights. I don't think it should be a problem, but I'll wait for an expert to reply.

Thanks in advance

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i personally wouldn't do it, but as long as you let it warm up to room temp before using it, it will be ok.

3. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    I'm in Massachusetts and I wouldn't leave an amp out Below Freezing! Minus 40 is brutal and super dry. There are issues of glue and acoustic foam cracking...cab and speakers at risk.

4. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    No. Cold doesn't hurt anything. Hot does, and changing from hot to cold suddenly is a huge problem. I live in central Illinois and when I was gigging, my amps and cabinets lived in the van. Temperatures ranged from -20 F to +120F. My stuff never had any problems. That's because I was careful to:

A. Always let the amps warm up completely and made sure there wasn't any condensation in them before I turned them on
    B. Didn't slam them around or physically abuse them while in the van or being hauled into/out of the gig
    C. Checked everything periodically- took 'em in, opened them up, cleaned them out, tightened screws and nuts, etc. twice a year.
    D. Bought good stuff that was well built- reliability is more important than the "perfect" sound- if it sounds good, it works every time, and it lasts, that's a LOT better than it sound freakin' great, but I can't depend on it...

John

5. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Out of curiosity, are we talking Centigrade or Fahrenheit?

One time I left by Acoustic B200 out for a few hours well below freezing. Only damage was two of the silver knobs tops came off. It seems to be fairly common on those amps, though. I just glued them back on.

6. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    I initially wondered the same thing, but as it turns out, -40 C = -40 F.

7. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    As long as it's above freezing, you should be alright. I lost an amp going from freezing to room temperature. FWIW, It takes longer than 15 minutes to warm up an amp that was in 15 deg F ,inside a rack case, to a safe operating temporature.

8. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    A: Move (to sunny FLA)

9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The only things you should leave in a car are those that you don't want to be there come morning.

10. aqsw

aqsw

May 28, 2006
    Were talking Centigrade, but -40 is the same in both.:D

P.S. It's just a 210 cabinet, (not a combo), and in a locked garage, but not insulated.

11. aqsw

aqsw

May 28, 2006
    I'm talking 72 degrees F below freezing:crying:

12. crijan

crijan Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2005
    Dallas, Texas
    Endorsing: JH Audio IEMs
    I somewhat disagree with you.

Cold is worse on electronic components than heat for matters of mechanical stress and shock. In general, materials get more brittle in cold conditions and cold temperatures are further away from the temperature at which they were assembled than at warm/hot temperatures (delta T). This applies to solders, glues, epoxies, mechanical fasteners, pwbs, and electronic components (caps, op amps, tubes, resistors, etc.) of which our amplifiers and speaker cabinets are made with.

Exposure to elevated temperatures (> 100°C) would also effect the reliability of the components, but atmospheric temperatures should never approach anywhere near that number.

I do agree with you that temperature shock, moving quickly from hot-to-cold or cold-to-hot, is also not recommended.

Items made of wood, or painted wood, are a whole other ballgame that I'm sure there are other more qualified persons to speak about than myself.

13. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

No one should own musical equipment that he/she can't move on their own. I say this from experience. She should get a speaker system she CAN move. That said I have moved gear in -37C temperatures and if you let the stuff acclimatize sufficiently you should be fine.

Addressing Bill's post, he is right on the mark. Equipment left in a vehicle is easily stolen. I speak from experience on that one too. If you are not absolutely certain of your musical equipments security, TAKE IT WITH YOU!!!!!!

14. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I have never seen a car stereo have problems in the winter. People just jump in and crank them up ( to cover up the sound of the heater blowers) I remember being woke up by my sons car stereo when he would be leaving for school in the morning.

15. aqsw

aqsw

May 28, 2006
    That's exactly why I thought it shouldn't be a problem.They are only speakers,and my car stereo has never failed me because of the weather.

16. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    I would not leave it in that kind of cold.

17. shadow_FIX

shadow_FIX

Feb 23, 2010
    If you want to play it safe (which you should!) don't leave ANYTHING in your car at those temperatures. I had an Eden Metro 2x10 combo that while it sounded fantastic, it was really heavy to transport in and out of vehicles, especially considering this was the amp that I used for all of high school. I know it sucks, but I would say she should bring it in every time, or swap it out for something lighter. I ended up getting rid of my Metro in favor of a Little Mark III and a Traveler 210 cabinet...then the LMIII ended up replacing my SVT4-PRO as a result! :hyper:

18. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    Sounds like you are in Fairbanks Alaska, boy I miss it.
    Don't leave the cabinet in the car, not good.

19. aqsw

aqsw

May 28, 2006
    Actually in Winnipeg. I guess she can wake me at 2am and I'll haul it in.:bawl: Thanks guys!!!

20. aqsw

aqsw

May 28, 2006
    Real easy to say that a person shouldn't buy a cab that they can't tote when your a guy and can throw around 100lb plus speakers, but believe it or not, girls want good sound too.
    Also read my post where I stated the cab would be in a locked,
    but uninsulated garage.:p

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021