1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

40 Kustom watts > 270 SWR watts ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Uncle K, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    So I started a thread yesterday about how I was disappointed with the Peavey cab that I got off craigslist. Thanks to the 3 people that responded BTW.

Well today just for kicks and giggles I hooked the cab up to 1 channel of my little 80 watt Kustom PA head...and it was louder!

I've read here on TB that SWR amps are underpowered, but never paid much attention to it. It seems for every negative thing written about SWR, someone writes something positive.

I guess I'm in the market for a new head.:mad:

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Which SWR head are you trying to use? They have made a lot of products.

3. Uncle K

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    Workingmans 300. And before anyone asks, I spent all day fiddling with the knobs trying to get a decent tone at a gigable volume.

4. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Mostly demonstrates how useful watts are for judging amps. SWR stuff is reputed to be low passed much lower than most stuff, so they'll put out much lower frequencies that eat power and won't turn into sound from your cab.

5. i smell a can of worms opening.

On a more relevant note, are you running into a 4ohm cabinet?

6. Uncle K

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    I'm not sure how many ohms the cab is. From my thread yesterday, I'm pretty sure the speaker in the 115 I got was replaced. There is nothing written on the speaker indicating watts, ohms, or manufacturer.