Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

40 Least Metal Moments

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by charles21o7, Nov 13, 2004.

1. This is showing on VH1 at 8 or 9 tonight. Most Vh1 countdowns suck but this should be funny since its "least " metal. Im sick at home with strep throat like a bitch so ill probaly watch it. Just lettin all you other sickly or bored bassers know.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    If Dragonforce and Rhapsody aren't on there, it's a complete crock.

3. Vince Neil doing the chicken dance got Number 1....lame!

4. I also thought the #1 was extremely lame.

Now, Celine Dion singing "You Shook Me All Night Long", that was classic.

5. Pat f'ing Boone.

6. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

What's wrong with these bands? If anything I'd say they were so metal as to be parodies of themselves (ala Manowar).

It doesn't get more metal than singing about knights and dragons :p . But then again I'm a big Dio fan.

7. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

Yeah, I knew about all the hoopla about him dressing up in leather with fake tattoos but never knew he made a metal cover album.

:rollno: :rollno: :rollno: It was horrible. His version of Holy Diver was comically limp and weak.

8. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    The chicken dance thing should have been in the 40's or something. I thought Pat Boone singing Holy Diver was funny just cause he is an old dude singing Dio. Celine Dion should have definitly been #1.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    "Whitey hates Dio."
    "Whitey hates Dio so bad."
    -John Allison

10. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I watched it and thought "***" most of the time they were BARELY talking about metal acts. Celine Dion & Mariah Carey cat rape metal songs all they want, but that doesn't make them metal OR do any injustice to metal. They have their fans who may or may not like it. It's up to them to judge. How do you think real Beatles fans feel about Motley Crue's cover of Helter Skelter? And NELSON? EUROPE? These were POP ROCK acts at BEST!!!! They may have LOOKED a bit like the popular metal acts of the day, but metal is music and attitude, NOT wardrobe. And what's with trashing what these guys do in their spare time, Dickens fences and writes books, Alice Cooper Golfs, BFD. Everyone has interests outside of there niche. They trashed Joe Perry for going on Emeril to promo his Hot Sauce but didn't mention Steve Tyler's appearance as Santa Clause on Disney's "Lizzy McGuire" show (Hillary Duff??? He did it cause his kids like the show, Well OK THAT's metal, but Hot sauce is NOT!!)? Or Halftime show w a bunch of pop tarts, Heck he's even an annimated ELF in the new Polar Express movie. I missed the end but I would like to assume that Fred Durst's time whith Britney made the list if Avril Levigne doing Metallica did. And if Alice Cooper and Ozzy can't poke fun at themselves nobody can. They busted on Ozzy for doing a Pepsy commercial but didn't mention his appearance on SEVERAL Muppets shows AND albums? And who the F asked Tawny Kitain for her opinion? Zakk Wilde, sure, Ricky Rachman OK, but the co-writer/co-star of the Marijuana-Logues??? How metal is an Off-Broadway show even it its Pot themed???

OK the rant went on a bit long, but the show seemed to focus almost entirly either off topic or on Pop/Hair Metal, which of course is one of the least metal things that people call metal.

And just for the record, I'm a big fan of Aerosmith, Europe, Alice Cooper, Metallica, The Muppets (with and without Ozzy, and of course Ozzy by himself), The Disney Channel (I have a 3 & 6 year old), and most forms of Metal, this just seemed like a half-hearted attempt at filling 2 hours of progaming without having to think too much.

11. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    I didn't take it nearly as seriously as you so thats why I liked it. Its just stuff to laugh at. I don't think they meant to offend anybody so much.

12. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I enjoyed the show, I thought it was funny and a lot of fun, I guess I should have just taken issue with the title "40 Least Metal Moments" and that many of the moments they picked had only a thin line connecting them to metal as a genre, and were FAR from the most extreme even from my limited knowlege. If they had just called it "Lame Moments in Hard Rock" that would have been closer to accurate. When they title a show with such an absolute message, I have hopes to see things that would really look pathetic in context. They presented Jimmy Page playing "Kashmier" for a rap song as if it was equal to taking a dump on John Bonham's gravestone.

13. i saw it...i just thought it was funny because all these guys who were "metal" were saying how puffy took kashmir, and then they went on to put down page for helping! as soon as i saw them putting down page, i shut it off! if you ask me, come with me was an extension of LZ in the sense that they could play any genre of musc and sound good! they can do anything from blues (lemon song) to country (hot dog) and reggae (d'yer maker) and now, LZ conqured rap/hip-hop by sampling themselves and having puffy add some vocals!

anyways i thought the alice cooper "sell out for comp usa" was funny...i just saw the irony in the whole show, since they had these guys from 80's bands that i haven't heard of outside of "where are they now" saying how non-metal alice cooper was anymore (although he doesn't have to earn his paycheck by saying "do you want fries with that?")

all-in-all, i liked it, although i really like page, so i wasn't a fan of the mocking for him (same with the alice cooper bit, but i liked seeing the commercial again!), but the rest i could laugh at!

14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Last I checked, Dio isn't young.
    :D

15. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Get OUT.

16. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    "The final countdown!" :D

17. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    [​IMG]

Ronnie James Dio. Future leader of our country? I think so :D .

Dio for President

18. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Funny stuff. I liked it.

19. So they did a show about the 40 least metal moments? Sounds like they're scraping the bottum of the idea barrel.

20. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    They've been doing that for years already.