1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

40%! (Stop dreaming)- Reverb

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by obimark, Apr 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    Look Reverb sellers--- I don't care how "Minty" your Fender jazz bass may be, if it is used, your list price had better be 40% off what a new Jazz bass costs. Period.

$1295 for a 5 year old jazz bass?? It's only $1349 new! (and that has pay-it off now or never financing.)

Stop dreaming.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    xhawk5, Marikk, GregC and 18 others like this.
  2. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    Actually people can charge whatever they want for whatever they are selling. Just because what they want for it and what you want to pay for it don't match up makes no difference. Send them an offer.

3. PBassin

PBassin Bass Initiate

Jan 13, 2016
    New Jersey
    A Fender bass only cost a few hundred dollars in the '50s. Should we now only expect to pay no more than 40% of its original cost rather than thousands and thousands of dollars too? I mean, no one wants that old junk, right? :p That you are unwilling to pay more than 40% of a three year old jazz bass does not mean someone else in the world won't. Hell, there's people that have paid more than the list price for a current year bass. Why be upset or angry? Just find the deal that works for you. By the way, how did you arrive at 40%? That's quite specific. What if you find that exact same bass for 40.01% off its original price? Is that a deal breaker?

dutchwife, JiJ, RobertUI and 2 others like this.
  4. Jeez, go back to bed guys. I agree with the OP.

If I can get it new and un-scuffed with a warranty, why would I ever buy a used bass I could buy new in hundreds of places for a crummy $50 discount?

No anger, just amazed at how some peoples minds allegedly work.

5. PBassin

PBassin Bass Initiate

Jan 13, 2016
    New Jersey
    Because "a fool and his money are soon parted". That's just how it is, man.

ThePresident777 and Aqualung60 like this.
  6. A fool who bought a bass he didn't like and didn't figure it out until he couldn't return it and tries to get full retail for his mistake.

And any sucker he manages to find.

It happens here too. If you don't do your due diligence, you get hit with the stupid tax.

7. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    Something is only worth what collectively the consumer is willing to pay. With the sheer volume of these produced and on the market vs the number of willing consumers, the actual price will or should balance out.......(I would offer $700)

lewink, OldPlucker, cromag31 and 3 others like this.
  8. PBassin

PBassin Bass Initiate

Jan 13, 2016
    New Jersey
    I disagree. If we're talking about this specific bass you saw and believe to be overpriced, its value is not determined by the collective consumer but rather the individual that ultimately buys it.

Plectrum72 and ThePresident777 like this.
  9. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    I was referring to overall average selling prices and not a specific purchase. I was assuming that consumer was paying the "going rate":)

ThePresident777, obimark and PBassin like this.
  10. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Do you have some sort of authority over other people that isn't immediately apparent? If so, you're definitely owed an apology.

kesslari, twinjet, Nomogram and 7 others like this.
  11. PBassin

PBassin Bass Initiate

Jan 13, 2016
    New Jersey
    All hail obimark! 40% of the original price is this fiscal year's rate for used basses, as decreed by our Overlord!

12. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

May 26, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    The concept of Reverb is good. It's aimed at musical gear only. Lower selling fees, and a good layout. But the downside is that there is no listing fees, and no auction time period. This allows music stores and pawn shops to put stuff up there with no barriers. They can put a bass on there for a high price and just let it sit. There's no incentive to lower the price. They only need one buyer, and they get the sale. Reverb in turn gets flooded with a bunch of crap that sits there forever. Now if the seller had to pay a posting fee, and relisting fees, the amount of garbage would decline.

13. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    The market will take care of that.

Ductapeman, cnltb, lfmn16 and 2 others like this.
  14. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    "Price is a problem for the seller... not the buyer."

Yes, the market WILL take care of that.

15. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    Feel free to pay 90%.

twinjet and obimark like this.
  16. PBassin

PBassin Bass Initiate

Jan 13, 2016
    New Jersey
    I feel free enough to pay whatever I determine. How neat is that?

17. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    List price = opening bid from seller in a negotiation.

Low Ball offer = opening bid from the buyer.

Selling price = agreement on what it's worth between buyer and seller.

18. Somebody better tell the guys at the TB classifieds, too... Last I checked, used (mint) jazz basses there sell at $900-1100, which is less than 40% off... we're doing it all wrong...

19. And a fool and his overpriced bass are seldom parted.
    If it is more than what I want to pay, then I put on my boots that are made for walkin'.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    mbelue likes this.
  20. jonathanhughes

jonathanhughes Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    He said 40% OFF, not 40%. So that's 60% of the original price.