1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

40 watts over RMS. erm?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SuperRich, Jul 19, 2012.

1. SuperRich

SuperRich

Jul 19, 2012
    Hello there!

first post. :help:

i have an GK 1001rb, the 540watt at 4ohms,and a GK RBH 210 cab. I thought i needed a 115 aswell to get the most out of the amp and for the low end.

But after read a lot about it on this site my conclusion is that I want a 410, as I don't like the sound of the phasing issue. even though I have been offered an 8ohm eden115 at a great price.

I just called GAK and they have a tc electronic bc410 4ohm 500watt RMS. I know that everyone always wants headroom for the best clean sound so will this 40 watt over powering being a problem? is it a total no go? or would it only effect the cab if I turned the amp up all the way and kept playing and playing.

any advice welcome :hyper:

2. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    Re: "turn it all the way up"- do you drive with your pedal to the floor? No. Why would you turn an amp up all the way?

If you want ANY headroom, you'll need to find out which settings provide the best sound, when the clean stops and how well it survives.

Why do you need to use so much power? I understand needing/wanting to hear yourself onstage and that we don't hear bass as well as mids and it becomes harder when other sounds are masking it but how much space are you trying to fill?

3. I would find an identical 210 cab to the one you have. Stack them vertically and you will be getting better dispersion. Pairing an 8 Ohm 210 with an 8 Ohm 410 isnt the best idea. You are asking a speaker in the 210 to handle twice the power being sent to one in the 410. Best to match cabs for power handling.

On another note, those ratings are thermal ratings and have little to do with the amount of power a cab will handle before it reaches its mechanical limits. The more low bass you have dialed in, the sooner you will reach these limits.

4. SuperRich

SuperRich

Jul 19, 2012
    I was only asking if that is how I would damage the speaker as the amp is 40watts over the handling power of the cab. I obviously wouldn't be playing with the amp turned up all the way.

the main thing I want to know is if the 40watts over would effect the cab.

5. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Read the stickied threads at the top of the amp forum. You will NOT harm your speakers by having an amp with more power. Many guys play with 1000+ watt power amps through speaker cabinets rated for half that. All you need to do is use common sense and watch that you aren't pushing the cabinet too hard.

6. SuperRich

SuperRich

Jul 19, 2012
    ok good! I just wanted to check with the more informed individuals on here.

thanks!

7. I use a Hartke LH1000 bridged into 2 Hartke 410XL cabs. That's 1000 watts into 2 400 watt cabs @ 4 ohms. That's 200 watts more than they where designed for, but I've had no problems yet. With the amount of headroom I have I don't have to drive the amp very hard at all to compete with a loud drummer and guitarist. So no speaker stress caused. :)

8. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'm in the same boat. I power my 2 Hartke 410TP's with a Crown XLS1500 bridged, never had any problems and those cabs are rated at 200watts RMS and the Crown is dumping quite a bit more into them at times.

9. I run a bridged IPR 1600 into my 15/6. Thats a 1030 watt amp into a speaker rated at 750 watts. No issues, just use your ears.