Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

400-600 Bucks... What do you suggest?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kirkamer714, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Kirkamer714

Kirkamer714

Nov 23, 2003
    I'm in desperate need of a new amp. Im looking for something with power, enough for small gigs and then some, but nothing too extreme. Ive got 400 to 600 to spend, and am not sure whether to get a decent combo, or get a stack, and eventually upgrade the heads/cabs over time. I was looking at a Behringer BX1200, but at the local music store was told it was cheap, and to look at a Fender Rumble 100 instead. After much web research, I'm not sure I want either of those, but more so something a little bit bigger, and with some nice features. Marshal, Ampeg, Hartke, Fender? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Kirk

2. Somebassguy

Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    What kind of bass are you playing? I used a Behringer BX1200 for a bit. Don't believe the guy at the store, the Behringer blows away fender amps up to twice the price range. I recently upgraded to a Behringer BX3000T head and a Hartke 410, mostly because I just purchased a RIC 4003 and a single 12 though it sounds nice just doesn't give the RIC the range it needs. This rig only costs me $502.00 at Music123 and I'm sure it's gonna have incredible sound. I firmly believe Behringer is gonna be the next BIG thing in the Amp industry. The prices right now on them are a gift. Expect them to skyrocket in a couple of years!

:bassist:

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    We need to know what kind of music you play, how many strings your bass has, etc.

For that kind of money, with careful shopping you should be able to buy a used nice head and cabinet. Used gear is a bargain compared to new stuff.

4. Kirkamer714

Kirkamer714

Nov 23, 2003
    The bass I have is a Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass V, made in Mexico. I play funk to metal, so im looking for a big range of sound.

5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Get a Yorkville XM-200. You'll be loud as hell and have good tone. &479 at Musician's Friend. Then you can buy an Essex bass with the leftover money! :bassist:

6. again for the second post today on amps for people i agree wiht ox. get the yorkville although i wouldnt get the xm200 i would get the xm200t just because it has 2 10 inch speakers. anyway go yorkville but save your money for an extension cab instead of buyin the Essex. the xm200t wiht a 1x15 extension cab underneath would rock.

7. Kirkamer714

Kirkamer714

Nov 23, 2003
    Thanks for the help. The XM-200 looks real nice, and I am excited to hear one. I dont know about the essex though, time to save for a car ;)

Thanks, Kirk

8. Kirkamer714

Kirkamer714

Nov 23, 2003
    Is it worth the extra cash to upgrade to the 2x10 from the 1x15? What is the advantage?

9. the advantage i see from gettin the 2x10 is just for the punchier sound. and then u can throw a 1x15 cab underneath to get the lows i just like the sound of 210s rather than 1x15. thats pretty much it. I guess it all depends on what kind of sound u want out of your amp. but if you are gonna be soloing alot and playing rock or even punk music like me you should be happier with 2x10s. As long as you dont have a 5 string the 2x10s should handle your lows just fine anyway good luck.