400+ = 80lb paperweight

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thelastofus, Nov 14, 2002.

1. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    got it back from the tech, he had to decline working on it because there's a blown transformer and apparantly mesa doesn't sell their transformers to independents and he wasn't down with throwing anything in there. so 260 last week for tubes and probably another 2-300 for repairs. this thing sounds great, but right now i just want to put dynamite in it and blow it up.

P.S. I heard blown transformers come from playing your amp without it being plugged into a cab, which is something I do not do so I was wondering if there's anything else that could cause this or if my house is haunted.
  2. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    Don't you dare blow it up. I may have to bum it off you if my geetarist stops being a nerd and will practice so we can play a rally.
  3. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Plain bad luck can factor in too. My lead player had his tranformer go while on break. He went to play the second set, and nothing...
  4. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    wait a tic, who did u send it to to get it fixed?
  5. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    a guy in town named ron holmes. he makes his own amps and repairs others, he came with very good recomendation. he lived in pentaluma so he said he's fixed his fair share of mesas. "usually are nothing fancy, this time it was something fancy"
  6. You probably just got a lemon. It happens to all of us if you stay in it long enough. I've been lucky that the only lemon I've ever owned was a big Traynor tube bass head. It was set up pretty close to a Marshall 100 head (4 6ag7 power tubes I think) It left me stranded on the road. But, in 30+ years of bass playing, that is the only lemon. Dump the Messa, cut your losses and get something else. jmho
  7. I've got two 400+ never had a problem with either. My "extra" one is for sale if you interested.
    Sorry, I know this is a bad time for a sales pitch...
    Good luck.
  8. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    OR see if you can buy the transformer yourself and then have the tech install it. You save quite a bit when you do that with cars! Try Antique Electronic Supply at www.tubesandmore.com
    I'm not sure if that's the right place to get the part you need, but they could steer you in the right direction.
    Worth a shot for a fine amp like the 400+!
  9. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Is the amp under warranty? Did you call Mesa?

Did you add weights to it...cuz it's only about a 50 lb amp!:D
  10. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    the delema i'm stuck in is...

i can't sell it in this condition (not working), so i'm gonna have to fix it and dish out the cash. but once i do that i might as well keep it. so i'm kinda stuck. i don't know if anyone remembers but about a month ago i asked about trading that for an older svt 2, now i wish i did as i can see the svt 2 is still running and my mesa is...well, not
  11. get in touch with mesa, they are really image conscious (meaning, they will do alot to keep in good graces with the musician's community) If nothing else, they will offer practical solutions, best case scenario, there might be a production flaw that only they know about - who knows! all it'll cost you is a phone call.
  12. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Being in Bakersfield, you are not far from either Mesa Hollywood, or contacting Mesa in Petaluma.
    Even if the warranty has expired, I would highly recommend dealing only with Mesa or their network of service.
    Yes, Mesa has "rules" but the 400 is a mainstay, very well designed with a lot of happy users.
    Sorry for your xformer problem- I had it happen to me with my old B-15N. I can't say why it happens, it's a part that sometimes is not built right or just
    dies-But if it is circuitry involved ALL the more reason to have a Mesa man put it on the scope or whatever, and make sure the proper replacement is done.
    Those amps sound KILLER!
  13. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Mesa is very wierd about repairs. For tube amp work I go to a guy who has been repairing tube amps for over 25 years. He is an authorized service center for just about every major brand except Mesa. When I asked him why, he said because Mesa wanted him to take a written exam, and have him repair an amp at his cost. (They would send him a broken amp, and he would tell them what is wrong with it, repair it and send it back.) He actually agreed to these terms. They never sent him the amp. Even after he called about it several times. Seems the repair manager couldn't get his sh*t together.

So you know who is the official repair center in Little Rhody? This little nothing store in the middle of no-where that is only open 3 days a week in the evenings. If you mention his name to any repair guys in RI, they just moan. The funny part is, the amp that this guy supposedly repaired for Mesa was most likely repaired by Bob, the one who is the real expert.
  14. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    ...it's not what you know, it's who you know...(whom you know?)
  15. In my experiance, Mesa has always gone above and beyond when dealing with the very few "issues" that I've had with my two bass heads. They have never hesitated to send me replacement parts or offered suggestions regarding repairs out "in the field." More than likely you can just get a transformer direct from Mesa, maybe even for free or cost. They always give up the schematics on request and make it as easy as possible to fix stuff. I don't think I am alone in this...just ask and if you don't get the answer you want, ask someone different....?? I understand them wanting you to go to an "approved" dealer but they never once hestitated when I told them I couldn't. Good people...?
  16. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Look at it this way. The tubes cost was not wasted, and your tech won't charge you much for finding out the problem.
    Yes, it's a pain in the ass, but follow the suggestions the guys have given here.
    Also, if your amp is brought to Mesa directly, have them go through EVERYTHING,then you are sure to kill all bugs.
    Then you will have the most killer amp....keep positive.