Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

400+ Channel 2 too hot for cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Droog, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Hey guys. Thought I would throw this out there. I have a 400+, and it seems that even at the same volume levels channel 2 makes the my Mesa 410 clip, but channel 1 does not. For a while it was sufficiant to just play channel one, but now I use an A/B box to kick on both channels for a boost, but it make my cab crap out. Am I simply pushing to cab too hard? We are pretty loud, but the 400+ is no where near cranked. I am loathe to buy an additional cab, a nicer 410 is not out of the question, but I don't want more to lug around.

FWIW, I play a P-Bass, noting fancy, tuned to CGCF, maybe its the tuning?

Thanks guys!

2. Are you sure about which channel is too hot? #1 is for actives & I have to crank my passive p about double (ok, maybe 1.5) of what it puts out from #2. It seems to me that an active bass plugged into #2 at the same level as #1 could cause a problem but not the other way around. Am I making any sort of sense?

3. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    You make total sense. I think I have #2 at about 6/7 and #1 at 2ish and the master at say 4. It does seem backwards.

Do you also prefer #1 for your P?

4. Holy cow! That's freakin LOUD! I think what you are getting is the distortion from overdriving #2. Try the master @ 4-5, #1 @ 2-3 & #2 @ 1.5-2. You may have to fiddle with it a bit. My 4+ doesn't make a peep until a bit above 1.5 I would "A" the desired volume/sound & then "B" the same and then combine them. I prefer #2 for my p but also like #1's tone. I don't have an A/B box... Yet! You are doing it the right way to get all you can from the Mesa. What kind of ab box are you using?

5. Just to make sure we're on the same page. #1 for actives is the top input. #2 for passives is the bottom one. If you guys play that loud you may want to consider putting your master on 6-7-8 and then bring 1 & 2 up accordingly. It should be that #1 is at 4-5-6 and #2 at 2-3-4. You will be getting "natural" distortion at those levels and no od should be needed.

6. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    I think I will try turning down the individual channels and bringing up the master, that may do the trick. And yes, I am right with you on where the channels are :D And yes, it is pretty loud, don't worry I have professional ear plugs (thank god). The AB I have is the Morley. Works like a champ. My original intention was to use the second channel as a means to blend in distortion/fuzz with out losing my low end. Then I realized how cool it was to kick on some boost for the heavier parts. Now I use it for both.

I really hope that adjusting the gain structure takes care of everything. Distorted speakers are not good. Thanks for the suggestions.

7. Cool. I think that will do the trick. Pop back & give a heads up.