1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

$400 craigslist 76 jazz, real? fake?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by groooooove, Jul 22, 2012.

1. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I hate to say it. It kinda looks legit. The tuners, blocks on neck, back plate. Looks good enough. 400 bucks is worth the gamble to me. However thanks for posting, now every lurker I bet has called. I CAN TELL BY THE ALL CAPS IN THE AD THE PERSON IS EITHER OLDER OR NOT INTERNET SAVVY ENOUGH TO KNOW WHAT THEY HAVE.

2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Crap pictures, but looks legit at first glance.

3. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    I remember walking into a store and seeing a refin sodomized p bass form 50 ft. I knew there was real there.

I'll bet this is real.

I'm in the sell mode, and any Fenderjones I have is for a Pbass, I have a J.

Or I'ld be doing the schlep to Long Island.

4. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    Looks like it could be the real deal.

5. i will email him my phone number. what do i look for to know its real?

all i really know is the old logo, and 3 block neck, witch is seen in pictures..

t

6. It's real. Or the best fake job ever.

7. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    +1 on it looking legit.

8. another question, how good of a deal IS that?

whats the fair value of mid-late 70s basses?

im kind in sell mode, but if thats as good a deal as it seems, i should take the 40 min drive to see it. can always use a nice jazz bass..

9. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    The deal depends on alot. Mostly condition. This is not in that good condition but it's still much better than one that had spent a lot of time be "repaired" at the local Reptile Dentist.

Just because it's old doesn't make it valuble. Like I said though, if this was a P Bass I'ld be doing the schlep.

10. Zanderwestcoast

Zanderwestcoast Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Victoria, BC Canada

I have a 76 jazz. That looks legit even though they are not quality photos. For $400 I would stop writing emails and drive the 40 mins to buy it before someone else off TB does!

11. sj_bass

sj_bass Supporting Member

May 23, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    Moody Leathers endorsed artist
    My 75 reissue looks exactly like this... 3-bolt neck, maple with pearl blocks, heck even the bwb pickguard is the same.

A bass is always worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If i lived 3,000 miles closer, I'd make that drive for sure.

12. Zanderwestcoast

Zanderwestcoast Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Victoria, BC Canada
    As far as market value? I would say anywhere from around $1500 rougher condition to $3000-$3500 mint condition IMHO.......

13. TripleDouble

TripleDouble Guest

Aug 5, 2008
    Every time I reply to some ad like this one that seems too good to be true, I get no reply, and then my "CL only" email gets a bunch of spam...still worth a shot though, though being in NY, you can bet there have been hundreds of replies already.

14. its listed for long island, not manhattan/all NY, so it might be good.. he listed it yesterday.. who knows..

like i said, im really in sell mode, so i wont be crushed if its gone. but it'd be a nice score!

15. Good luck with it man. It sounds like a hell of a deal to me and if I didn't live all the way in Virginia I would drive up and buy it myself.

16. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    It's real I'd be all over that.

17. I want it. :/

18. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    +1.

+1.

My '77 jazz is one of the best J's i've ever played! $400 for that bass is a phenomenal deal!

19. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    The '75 RI models (american and japanese) have different headstock logo.

MIJ '75 RI logo:
    [​IMG]

MIA '75 RI logo:
    [​IMG]

1975 logo:
    jazz1975head.