Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

400+DI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Plain Old Me, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Anyone know if its resistant to Phantom Power?

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    what are we talkin' about here??

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Will the DI on the my Mesa 400+ fry if used with phantom power from a mixer? (48v I believe)

4. notrt

notrt

Jun 29, 2004
    Not sure why you'd be going there in the first place; what you will likely find though is that the DI out of your 400+ is so hot that you'll have to pad the channel you plug it in to avoid losing all of your headroom in that channel...

RC

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Y'know, that's a great question, and one I've pondered many times.

...and I don't have an answer either. I use the DI on mine too, and it crosses my mind every time I plug it in. Especially when I'm dealing with a yahoo sound guy like we had last night.

Yes, the DI signal does run hot, but I've never had a 'real' sound guy have a problem with it. I hear its level rides with the main volume somehow, so if you run your power stage hot, you're going to have maybe too much signal. I tend to run my main around 4 and it seems to have cut down the complaints about the hot signal

Sooooooo.

Anyone know fer real if phantom is fatal to the 400+?!?!

6. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I know one time in recording school my team put phantom power to a $5000 mic that had ITS own power. It DIDN'T hurt the microphone, thank God!!

I don't know about Amp DI's taking 48v.

7. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Its a serious concern. Some amps will fry if they get phantom to the DI.

8. I'd like to know the same thing about the Fender 300 Pro? Can the DI take phantom power? on a new amp of this price range, you would expect it, and likewise with the 400+, unless it's quite an old model...?

9. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    First off, since when did phantom power add any signal stregnth? I didn't notice any of this when I have used it with other amps... Reason I'm asking is that I have a condenser mic and a small mixer where phantom is either all on or all off. I have noticed that when you use the 400+ DI it does change in level when you fiddle with the knobs on the amp. Supposedly its taken from the power transformer?

10. It'll probably be from the driver stage, which is where mine comes from too i think, well, just before it, i know mine can be really hot too, theres no pre gain or DI level control which is annoying

11. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    As far as I know, phantom shouldn't change the signal strength...it just piggybacks to provide power for situations like you mention (condensers, etc).

I would also assume that Mesa would have made the 400/+ to reject phantom power, or as its an old amp modified the design once phantom power became a fairly widely used thing. But I've never heard one way or another...then I've also never seen any one post about losing their amp because of it.

12. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    While we are on the subject, and I have never got a straight answer, will phantom power fry a U5?