1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

400+ dual channel trick on my Bassman 135?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Jan 22, 2005.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've heard of guys using a Y-cable to bridge both channels together on the 400+. Will this work on my Bassman 135? I've tried an A/B box...I didn't get that boost in volume, only a drop in volume :confused:

2. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    You answered your own question ;) Not all amps with 2 inputs will accommodate this type of usage... if it didn't work with an A-B box it won't work with a Y-cable.

3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    On your bassman, plug into input 1 on the bass channel, then take a short cable from input two on the bass channel into input one on the normal channel. That will get you more volume & more grit.

4. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I am going to try that. I like my Bassman 135. But not as much as my Ampeg V-4.

5. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I just tried it....mgmadian was right it doesn't work :p Rock how much louder is the V4 to the Bassman 135? how do the differ tone wise?

6. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I used to practice with my Bassman 135 and a 1-15 8 ohm MusicMan cab W/a PV BW. When I used the V-4 with this setup, I liked the Bassman better (More headroom). I tried the bassman with my Eden 4-10xlt 8 ohm, and it did not perform nearly as well as the Ampeg. I don't know why. Maybe it was the rooms(We have a different room now).We practice with the V-4/Eden, and it really is a sweet match. Tone wise, I'll take the Ampeg any day. It has a sound that is very workable (using my bass guitar controls). It has a full round smooth overdrive sound (without loosing the bottom end and with clarity). For sure, this amp will NEVER leave my possession.! I would prolly sell the 135, if I could get all my money back. I did try the V-4 with my 8-10, and it did not fare well with that cab. I just did not have the headroom, like my 400+. It was for a wedding and my thinking was "Ampeg tone" but it definately is NOT a "BABY SVT"