Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

400+ dual channel trick on my Bassman 135?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Jan 22, 2005.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've heard of guys using a Y-cable to bridge both channels together on the 400+. Will this work on my Bassman 135? I've tried an A/B box...I didn't get that boost in volume, only a drop in volume :confused:

2. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    You answered your own question ;) Not all amps with 2 inputs will accommodate this type of usage... if it didn't work with an A-B box it won't work with a Y-cable.

3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    On your bassman, plug into input 1 on the bass channel, then take a short cable from input two on the bass channel into input one on the normal channel. That will get you more volume & more grit.

4. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I am going to try that. I like my Bassman 135. But not as much as my Ampeg V-4.

5. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I just tried it....mgmadian was right it doesn't work :p Rock how much louder is the V4 to the Bassman 135? how do the differ tone wise?

6. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I used to practice with my Bassman 135 and a 1-15 8 ohm MusicMan cab W/a PV BW. When I used the V-4 with this setup, I liked the Bassman better (More headroom). I tried the bassman with my Eden 4-10xlt 8 ohm, and it did not perform nearly as well as the Ampeg. I don't know why. Maybe it was the rooms(We have a different room now).We practice with the V-4/Eden, and it really is a sweet match. Tone wise, I'll take the Ampeg any day. It has a sound that is very workable (using my bass guitar controls). It has a full round smooth overdrive sound (without loosing the bottom end and with clarity). For sure, this amp will NEVER leave my possession.! I would prolly sell the 135, if I could get all my money back. I did try the V-4 with my 8-10, and it did not fare well with that cab. I just did not have the headroom, like my 400+. It was for a wedding and my thinking was "Ampeg tone" but it definately is NOT a "BABY SVT"