400+ Help Needed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TrooperFarva, Nov 25, 2004.

1. TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I bought a used Mesa/Boogie 400+ about a year ago, along with a used SWR Goliath III cabinet. I instantly loved the sound. I had tried both in Guitar Center before i brought them. Anyway, last August, I left my rig at my friends house. He's a guitar player, and he has tube amps of his own. I've known him for years, so I figured my gear was in good hands. Up until then, I had no problems from any of the items up until then. I get word from my friend the next day that something happened to my amp. After a whole lot of prodding, he eventually told me that he accidentally turned it on, while it wasn't plugged into the cabinet, and something blew inside. He said smoke came out when it happened, and it kept blowing fuses. I'm good with circuits, but not tube amps in particular. I opened it up, and I saw what looked like a pair of resistors had blown up. I wasn't confident enough to repair it, so I brought it to guitar center to get it fixed. After some time, I got it back. I was told that some resistors, were replaced, as well as 4 of the power tubes. It seemed to function as good as ever. This was about 6 weeks ago. Last week, I started experiencing a problem with my amp. Suddenly, there was a small 'pop' sound, and a low buzzing coming from from the amp. Soon after that, there was a similar pop sound, and the amp was back to normal. This happened once more last week. But today, its happened half a dozen times. Every time it happens, the tubes get very hot, very fast. Something is seriously wrong. I have a few questions. 1) Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be wrong? 2) Does it seem like this problem is related to the previous problem? Nothing has happened to the amp between then and now, just normal use. All of the connections are fine. The low buzzing continues even when the volume is all the way down, and the volume does not affect the volume of the buzzing. I really need help. Thanks. If you need any more details about specifics, feel free to ask.
  2. Yeah; you've got some SERIOUS issues, probably blown bias caps, definitely screwy resistors, most likely a VERY cooked set of tubes. Rule number one for any piece of gear you value: DO NOT TAKE IT TO GUITAR CENTER FOR REPAIR!!!!!!!!

You NEED very badly to find a tube service center or contact Mesa directly and get that amp fixed. Since you opened the chassis yourself, any warranty the amp had is gone, not to mention whatever hack butchery whomever Guitar Center sent it to did to it. Find someone reputable in your area, and let them get ahold of it, MEOW!!!
  3. TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    The Guitar Center I took it to sent it out to a Mesa authorized repair shop. Theres none around here, so I'm pretty limited on options. Is there any way to prove that this problem is just a continuation of the original problem, so that I can get Guitar Center to pay for at least part of this repair? Thanks.

Also, I bought the amp used, I think its about 10 years old, so any warranty it had was long gone before I opened it up.
  4. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    1. If it's possible for you to send it to Mesa for a repair, that's what I recommend. Their number is: (707)778-6565. If you can't send it to them, they may know someone closer to you that you can take (or ship) your amp to.

2. You may be able to get the GC to at least refund you the money you paid for the repair. Ask to talk with the store manager in person, don't waste your time with any sales-clerks.

3. If your guitar playing friend has a girlfriend, ask her out on a date. You owe it to him and to yourself. :D
  5. My advice is to forget about getting any kind of repair refund from Guitar Center and focus on getting your amp fixed. Speaking as a former GC manager, you'll be wasting your time. The ONLY way for GC to take any responsibility for the amp is for the tech they had to fix it to admit he screwed up; it won't happen. Get ahold of Mesa directly. I've seen enough completely incompetent "Mesa Authorized Service Centers" to tell you that the "Mesa badge" doesn't always mean you'll be getting decent service.

While you're at it, why don't you fill in your profile so possibly a local TB'er could steer you towards a good repair shop?
  6. iualum

Apr 9, 2004
  7. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Benjamin Strange will pick up on this for sure...

I would echo what others have said, yeah, it'll cost to ship and to get fixed, but sending it to MESA in my opinion is the only way to go. I had a 400+, wasn't my thing but it is an awesome amp...if it were mine I'd send it to the factory. That way you can be sure it's fixed properly...plus MESA will guarantee the work.
  8. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    ...and since the prior work was done by a Mesa authorized repair center, tell your story to Mesa - and ask if their work included warranty - as the problems seem to be related. There could easily be a 90 day warranty on their "Mesa Authorized" work - and it's only been six weeks.
  9. TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Ok, the current plan is to take it to a local place, Toys from the Attic, in White Plains, NY. A friend of mine had a blown Dual Rectifier, he took it to them, and the thing sounds better than ever. That was more than a year ago I think, so I know they do great work. They too use "mesa authorized dealers" but at least I know they use people who know what they're doing. I would ship it to mesa but 1) I'm pretty poor, I'm a college student, so i'm hoping this is the same work for a lot less and 2) i don't trust myself enough to box up my amp properly. Thanks for the advice.
  10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Yup. Get it fixed.

Ok, my work is done here.
  11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    So how much of this is your "friend" paying for?
  12. That's the spirit, chief! I've never seen someone so willing to lend a helping hand! :p
  13. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I'm the best there is at what I do.
  14. Projecting Practical Proficiency.
  15. TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    He offered to pay for all of it, he accepted full responsibility for what he did. I might chip in for some, I don't know, cuz I did leave it at his place, I'm not sure. But I don't have to pay for anything if I don't want to. The only real downside is i'm without my awesome amp for a while. Thanks for all the help guys.