1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

400 PS on ebay...I WANT IT!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by funkateer86, Aug 5, 2007.

1. funkateer86

funkateer86

Aug 21, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    http://cgi.ebay.com/1971-Fender-400...yZ121157QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

man! i'm GASing so bad for one of these things! i'm trying to figure out what i can sell to get the money! lol! all that oomph i could just see the guitarists trembling in fear of the crushing wall of low coming from that thing and 2 (or three) 810's! there's a 300ps 15 minutes from me that i'm trying really hard to snag, but man...this thing is legendary!

2. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Awesome amps. I don't think there's anything that can touch them. That one's more expensive than most of them that pop up on Ebay, BUT if the listing is truthful, AND the work described was done properly, it's had a complete overhaul which should eliminate the headaches that come with buying an old amp that hasn't been kept up. If those are really GE6550A tubes in there, it's not so bad a deal. Those tubes are ridiculously expensive, and according to what I've read on the 400PS Yahoo group even the NOS tube dealers are just about out of them. The GE6550A was made for the 400PS, and supposedly any other tube is inferior in this amp.

3. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Oh these are rare... they also made a 300W version too.

4. 00Funk

00Funk Banned

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    I guarantee, i would have pulled the trigger and bought that, had it not been for finding out today about Peaveys upcoming VB-3 tube head

5. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    The new Peavey will be nothing like the 400PS - nothing is, really.

6. 00Funk

00Funk Banned

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    Is it really that good ? I never new Fender made an amp like that. Ive never played a tube head. Im itching to.

Talk me into it. Im trigger happy :bassist:

7. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    I like how they've planned ahead with the handle placement: Clearly, you need three arms just to lift it!

And 00funk, that would be one *heck* of a first tube amp to own.

8. 00Funk

00Funk Banned

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    My trigger finger is sweatN BAD :help:

Man I want that amp. I bet it sounds awesome

9. Considering the intricate setup that I just saw in the Effects Forum with the Rack Effects going through the Hi-Pass Loop, and others going through the Low-Pass loop and what not, I'd say you should stick with Trace, and look into their V Series if your GASing for some Tubes....

10. 00Funk

00Funk Banned

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    Do the tubes light up when your playing loud ?
    0744_3.

11. All tubes light up when in use. The longer they've been on and in use, the brighter they get, but they never really get past a Just-More-Than-Dim Glow.

12. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    South Shore MA
    I've read in the past that these things were a bit goofy due to reliability and design issues (full power only available with three cabs? feature or flaw, discuss). Essentially they were Fender's attempt to compete with the SVT for the high powered bass amp market. VERY heavy.

Corrections welcomed.

Just occured to me, I bet PBG knows what's up with these.

13. It's more like a warm glow.
    Here's a pic from the back of a Mesa Boogie I once owned.
    areyoulookinghereforahint.

14. 00Funk

00Funk Banned

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    I was just outbid 30 dollars on ebay yeterday for a new Mesa 400+ i bid 1300 and it sold for 1335 I think

15. SUNNyday r.

SUNNyday r.

Oct 17, 2006
    Bay Area
    That sucks. There is a MESA 400 available local for $800. I would jump on the Fender 400 with both feet if I had a real need. Just for the tubes even.

16. WOW. Plus shipping too?

Keep your eye in the classifieds around here. You can usually get them a bit cheaper than that.

When I sold mine there was a few of them for sale all around the same time. A 400+ went anywhere between $900 to 1000 IIRC.

Mine was a 400 (non-plus) and they go for a tad cheaper.

17. 00Funk

00Funk Banned

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    I went ahead and put a bid in. At least no one can "buy it now" :D

I got a week now to raise MO cash. YEA

18. Good luck!
    Looks like one hell of an amp.

Does it come with a sumo wrestler to help you lug it around? :D

19. 00Funk

00Funk Banned

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    In the add, it says ready for another 36 years of playing. Will those tubes last that long ?

20. Nooooooo.

Re-tubing is part of owning a tube head.
    How long they last depends on a few things.
    The amp design and how hot they run. How hard you push it, etc...

If you play out every weekend you should get a couple of years minimum. Could be longer.