Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

400+ Retube, expensive or.... expensive?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ralphdaddy, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    In your own opinions, which tubes would be the best replacement tubes for the 400+ I just purchased. I can get the Mesa/Boogie high end tubes, which are Svetlanas, or I can go with JJ/Tesla from Eurotubes. Or I can go with just about anything from tubdepot.com or Lord Valve or whatnot... the question is which tube will give me the best balance of mids, plenty of low end and smooth, not overly present highs. The guy from M/B said their Svetlanas are really good with lots of bottom and not a ton of highs which sounds nice, but they're also really expensive and I recall reading somewhere that they're not the most reliable tube. Anyways, just looking for opinions and testimonials my brothers and sistas. Enjoy the workday, take er easy.

2. I swapped mine with JJ's and I don't think I could be happier. Really ballsy, wide open tone, with no frequency too harsh or too sterile. It's the rock-solid tubey goodness I always wanted.

3. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I am in the process of retubing my 400+ with JJs, but I have already done my Buster 200 and the JJ tubes make a world of difference in that unit. The Mesa tubes seemed too hi-mid for me. I like a more mellow, fat tone which I get from the JJs. The JJs for the 400+ were just over $200 with shipping. Plus, Bob is a really nice guy to work with.

4. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Thank you gentlemen, that's the response I expected and wanted to hear. Now I can go ahead and proceed exactly the way I wanted muuuaaahhhahahaha :hyper:

Excellent Smithers... excellent.