Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

400 watt peavey is gving me a lot of trouble

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Basser_Instinct, Feb 6, 2001.

1. Basser_Instinct

Basser_Instinct

Feb 2, 2001
    I just bought this HUGE peavey amp. Ihave 2 18' woofers and 2 10' highs. First off This amp is like 40 yrs old. It came with a peavey mark III head from the 70's. So I knew it was going to give me problems.Now i need to know whats wrong. I get this insanely annoying buzz. It's really loud. My highs sound like they are about to blow and My Eq is really touchy.

2. W.J.

W.J.

Oct 31, 2000
    It might be that your amp is not "earthed" it can give you 'a' buzz....or the potential meters ( don't now if this is correct english ) might be dusty . you can sheck that by turning the knobs .

3. Basser_Instinct

Basser_Instinct

Feb 2, 2001
    OK, I turned them....buzzing got worse and my knobs screech

4. W.J.

W.J.

Oct 31, 2000
    So now you know its the knobs !!
    Get at your local electro dealer a can of contact 60, this is a spray that cleans , eat dust and it has some lubricant in it to ( thats the name in belgium )or get some video cleaner and spray some into your knobs ( at the back ) then turn up and down, to let it work in , then your problem should be fixed .
    if not I would say there's a loose contact in your amp .
    and then it might be a good idea to bring the amp to your local repairman !!

5. W.J.

W.J.

Oct 31, 2000
    sorry , contact 60 is a product that is well known in belgium

6. Basser_Instinct

Basser_Instinct

Feb 2, 2001
    I've actually had the head sent out to have it fixed. They checked out and told me that nothing was wrong with it. They cleaned it for me, some kind of spray stuff that smelled baD and that eliminated alot of the problem but it still buzzez. what is earthing?

7. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I thinking he means "grounding."

8. W.J.

W.J.

Oct 31, 2000
    yes that was what i wanted to say , if you say it has been cleaned already then it must be bad grounding , If there was a problem with your amp those technicians should have noticed this so be shure to connect your amp to a grounded power-point. If not ... try to write the problem down here.
    Try to define your problem properly .
    but I don't think I can help you out on this one . the problem is at your place , and I'm behind my PC ...