Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

400+ with Acme B4

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pre EB, Jun 7, 2002.

1. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    Anybody ever try a Boogie 400+ with an Acme? How did it sound and did it have enough juice to drive it?

2. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    Thanks Psycho.
    How much power is the V6? I've got the B4 and currently using a Pre/Power setup at 850 watts. Just jonesn' for a 400+ and wondering how it would sound.

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    PreEB, Have you every played through a 400+? I"m guessing not or you wouldn't be asking if it has enough juice. It's a very loud amp. I imagine it would blow away most 850 watt ss amps with no problem.

4. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    Oh yeah I've played through one! That's why I want one so badly. I guess all the talk of inefficiency of the Acme has me worried about 500W "peak" being enough. I KNOW the amp is as loud as they come, I just want to know if it's a good match.

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the cab you reference. But every cab I've ever driven with a 400+ (I own two of 'em) has been an excellent match. This would include Mesa, Eden, SWR and Epifani. My guess, however, is that you'd be ecstatically happy and the relative inefficiency of your cab would be a non-issue with that amp. In any case, good luck.

6. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    Just as a reference....I ran two Acme B-2's with 500 watts each and fell just a tad short on volume for my band (loud metal). The sound/tone was kick ass just not quite loud enough..........

7. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    The volume is there for me with the B4. I've mainly been doing the blues thing, and it sounds fantastic. If I ever need more than that, my brother is also a bass player and has a wealth of great bass gear I can borrow. Including another B4. We are going to hook all of it up soon and have some fun! 3100 watts of Eden/QSC/Mackie power and alot of top notch cabs. NOT including my stuff besides the Acme(boogie 15 and 210 and a Hartke 410XL).

8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    If I remember correctly....Andy Lewis didn't recommend tube power when I bought my Acmes.

9. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    :mad: Why not? He didn't say that to me.. What difference does it make? I would think that his cabs would be fantastic with a good tube amp.

10. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    What a relief!!!:) I will have to wait for a while for a 400+ anyway, and I'll probably buy a five string before that. Thanks for the info.
    Joe