Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

400+ ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hounddog, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Hounddog

Hounddog

Dec 2, 2004
    Southern, Illinois
    Sadowsky Featured Artist
    Can I use any brand of y style channel switches to switch between channel 1 and channel 2 or do I need to breakdown and buy one from Mesa ? Thanks.

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Any brand will do. I sometimes use my GT-6B to accomplish this.

3. Hounddog

Hounddog

Dec 2, 2004
    Southern, Illinois
    Sadowsky Featured Artist
    Plain Old Me,

Thanks, you always answer my questions without the BS that some people love to dish out and you have never steered me wrong. Thanks again.

Mike

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 Always good advice from POM!!! Thanks!

5. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Y to both channels was a revelation to me. Nice fat volume boost without breakup also. I got a $25 ABY and it works fine.

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I use a simple Y cord and it works fine.

7. Hounddog

Hounddog

Dec 2, 2004
    Southern, Illinois
    Sadowsky Featured Artist
    I am wanting to run my Big Muff and Wah pedal through channel 2 and switch to it when I want it. I only use it once a night for about 10 minutes when I play. once for the intro to NIB and once for a couple of metallica tunes. I thought that would be better than turning the effects loop blend knob off and on. If there is a better way please tell me. I have never tried a Y cable on it. What kind of settings do you use when using the Y and what diff. does it make on the 400 + ?

8. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I always ran mine that way so I can't comment on the difference. You may want to consider spending a few extra $ for an ABY box. This way you have your chouce of using input 1, 2, or both. It will also allow you to run your effects into one input and mix the effected signal with a clean signal from the other input, similar to futzing with the effects blend but with control at your feet. I ran my effects into input 1, on my 400+ 1 had less volume and didn't sound as good to me so I wanted to keep 2 clean. This way you can use any effect you like without worrying about it taking some of your low end as some pedals do.