1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

$400

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by csipe1, Mar 14, 2013.

1. csipe1

csipe1

May 28, 2011
    Yonkers, NY
    Just got $400... have a MarkBass 151 CMD Berlin, an Ibanez BTB200, a Snark tuner and a monster cable... it's all I've needed! :)

I play with a 60s R&B / Soul cover band, a 90's cover band and a classic rock teacher band where kids sing songs about the American Revolution over classic rock tunes :)

Looking for ideas on where to burn $400 for some fun in my setup... thinking pedals - hence the thread here...

All ideas welcome, thanks.

2. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    With the styles you named, I think you'd get great mileage out of an overdrive or a fuzz. There's a lot to choose from, it all depends on what types of sounds you're after.

3. FrettFretless

FrettFretless

Jan 2, 2013
    :bag:I really do love my boss bf-2 flanger for 'fattening' up my tone. Can be quite subtle to decently crazy... It's probably not for everyone though.

Otherwise, you could always buy a lot of a certain plant, but that may get you in legal troubles! :bag: Good luck in the search!

4. csipe1

csipe1

May 28, 2011
    Yonkers, NY
    When I go to Sam Ash or Guitar Center, they all try and sell me the multi-effects... they sound alright but they seem a bit complicated - well, not crazy but... thoughts on multi-effects?

5. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    Personally, I'd rather have something that's great at one thing than something that's passable at many.
    Besides that, I'm more of an analog guy myself.

6. A good compressor is the magic sauce you didn't even know you needed. I recommend the Markbass Compressore for pros, but it doesn't run on batteries, it is big, and costs $200. Maybe the MXR bass compressor or a good stomp preamp with simple compression such as the Eden since you it has EQ and drive controls for more tones.

7. Way Huge Swollen Pickle. I use it in my 90's alternative cover band and it's all the fuzz you need. Nice adjustability too.

8. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    I'd also recommend an overdrive (Pork Loin) or a fuzz (Big Muff/Swollen Pickle). Octave (OC-2/MXR BOD) pedals are also ├╝ber fun, but I'm not sure how much you'd be able to use it. A phaser might be usable in the genres you've mentioned.

9. My initial thought is overdrive and or fuzz. But... If you're unsure of what you want and how you'll use it, a multi will be a good introduction to what different effects do and how you can use them.

10. So here's my deal with multi's: I really like them. Especially the Line6 M-series and Zoom B3 (which operate almost like a series of stompboxes). I am also the kind of guy that isn't after that one holy grail of tone, but really likes to play around with different tones all the time. If I get an idea for an effects combination I want to be able to experiment right away. A multi is usually much more flexible for this than singles.

If you want one sound, or need this one great effect to push your sound right to where you want, or you need a very specific level of control over an effect, a multi probably* wont be the best thing for you as the effects inside are usually pretty generic (but not always). If you just want to play around and experiment with sounds and don't fancy yourself dropping $1000 on stuff that may not even work toward some ultimate goal, the newest multi's are the ticket. As always IMO and IME.

Living the high life is getting a small multi and surrounding it with great single pedals.

*a few effects on my M13 are flat out great, the Bass Octave, Pitch Shift, Octoverb and Tube Comp are top notch.

11. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    get a VT bass. you'll be so happy you did.

12. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    I seems like an EQ would give you a bit of versatility.

13. q5bass

q5bass

Apr 9, 2012
    TN
    +1 swollen pickle. It will fatten up your tone for the 60's tunes you're playing and give you some nice fuzz for your 90's band. I got mine for $75 from someone on TB. If you go this route, you'll have plenty of cash left over to spend on other effects (I also suggest the Hatrke Bass Attack VXL).

14. csipe1

csipe1

May 28, 2011
    Yonkers, NY
    I love the tips and really appreciate the ideas. Swollen Pickle, Compressor and the EQ sound like good, versatile options. This multi vs stomp issue is endless on these threads - we'll see. I'll report back after I hit the shop. Thanks again and please keep any ideas coming!

15. csipe1

csipe1

May 28, 2011
    Yonkers, NY
    VT or VT Deluxe - just found that on musicians friend

16. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    You will be extremely happy. Well, idk about you, but I know I am! I have the regular VT bass. It is a sweet pedal. Gives you some great tonal possibilities. If you're interested in a good distortion pedal I'd recommend you check out darkglass stuff. I'm waiting for my vintage to come in the mail now!!! :) :hyper: I've never messed with too many multi effect processors but I hear nothing but good things about the zoom B3. That's a lot of effects in one box. New it's $200 I believe. Octave pedals are great too, I love my micro pog by ehx. Delay pedals are fun stuff too. I'm using a fulltone OCD at the moment and am actually very happy with it but I have a feeling the vintage will be taking its place. Hmmmmm, not sure what I'm
    Taking off my board when I get the vintage..... Decisions decisions!!

17. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Oh sorry, the biggest difference between the VT and the VT deluxe is the option of presets. And a DI as well. I'm pretty sure there's a DI on it right?? :bag: other than that you can get the same tonal range/sounds out of the smaller (regular) VT. My VT is always on.

18. I also only buy pedals that only do one thing great. However, if someone's just starting out with effects, multieffects pedals can cover all bases and let them figure out what they want to improve on.

To the OP - No one can really tell you what is the right pedal for you. You'll have to figure that out for yourself (although asking questions like you did is good for advice). I do recommend getting a multi effects pedal. One of them can satisfy your needs/wants for a while until you figure out more precisely what you want.

If you aren't going to get a multieffects pedal, then get a fuzz or overdrive pedal first, then a decent envelope filter. The combo of those two pedals gives you tons of tone options. I'd still recommend getting a multieffects pedal first, though.

19. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    A Zoom B3 would be a good start - small and versatile, easy enough to use. Plus I think the kids singing over the looper, taking turns adding their bits, would be a hoot in class. You'd also need a cheap dynamic mic and an A/B switcher (for this I use the Boss LS-2 because you can boost the mic level). Loopers are fun for everyone and the B3 has a decent starter.

20. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    What he said, but louder.