1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

4001 hum?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by atracksler, Jun 2, 2014.

1. atracksler

atracksler

Oct 30, 2007
    I pulled out my 78 4001 to play this weekend, I haven't played it out in almost a year, but I strung it up with new strings (fbass 5 string bead) and brought it out. With the volume up there was a noticeable hum (when nobody was playing) I tried the ground switch on the tone hammer, and it didn't make a difference. The board also tried reversing polarity, and that didn't do it. Hum wasn't there last time I played out...

I've never heard the hum before.
    I was using a wireless setup, both for my bass and in ears. It's my usual wireless setup, and doesn't behave any issue with my ray35.

I'm not sure where to begin to diagnose the hum...

Is it the pickups?
    Is it the strings?
    Is it the wireless?

Thanks in advance for suggestions....

2. mrmills

mrmills

Jun 22, 2009
    Kent, UK
    Single coil pickups will pick up mains hum from things like fluorescent lights, can't do much about that apart from not play near them.

The ground switch in the tone hammer will only help with a ground loop problem but only one that involves the tone hammer and whatever it is connected to (before and after it in the chain).

Try the bass directly in to an amp, does it still hum? Need to start with as little in the signal chain and add things in until the hum appears.

kcole4001 likes this.
  3. artechoke

artechoke

Nov 9, 2012
    Rhode Island
    It could be as simple as a bad guitar cord.

4. atracksler

atracksler

Oct 30, 2007
    I played the Ric on Saturday night. on Sunday morning, I played the Ray35. I changed nothing on the board. (It was actually behind a curtain and kind of inaccessable). I Tried all 3 pickup combos on the ray35, and no hum.

I'll retest the rick today at home and see if I can replicate the hum....

5. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    A Ray 35 has a humbucking pickup, correct?
    Just sayin', it's not going to hum.

Hot single coils (RIC Higains for example) do pick up a lot of outside noise at times.
    As already posted, try a simple signal chain and add piece by piece until you find the problem.

Then again, you may have a bad ground wire in the bass.
    If nothing else checks out, open her up and check the wiring.

Also, there's a mod to wire your Rick like a Jazz.
    That is, hum cancelling when both pickups are at equal volume.
    It's easy for anyone reasonably handy, and is totally reversible.
    Link: http://www.talkbass.com/threads/rickenbacker-4003-rwrp-bridge-pickup-mod-tutorial.761909/

6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

A Ray pickup bucks 60hz hum, not RF. Similar to what single coils cancel out when in phase. Neither pickup cancels RF interference.

OP, is the hum affected by touching the strings/bridge/metal? Does it get louder, quieter or remain constant? If the noise goes away when touching metal it is a shielding issue, if it gets louder it is a grounding issue, if it remains constant it might be 60hz hum it might be something else, but i would double check your ground connection at the bridge.

If it appears to be a shielding problem check my threads for one about hum, it contains any information you will need to resolve that issue.

7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    Put Joe Barden pickups in your Rick and the hum will dissapear.

Mr. Wu likes this.
  8. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    You might want to check the jack to make sure it's working properly, as it tends to oxidize when not in use, and could need adjustment as well.
    They're a little finicky about making good contact.

9. atracksler

atracksler

Oct 30, 2007
    OK. ITs nothing in the signal chain, since it happens plugged straight into the amp, regardless of cable.

It doesn't make a difference if I'm holding the bass or not.
    It doesn't make a difference if I'm touching the strings or not
    It doesn't make a difference if I'm holding the bridge or not.

Turning down the volume eliminates the hum. (but that really makes the issue moot)

is copper tape my friend here?

10. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
  11. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    Sounds like what I had. Shielding the cavities reduced the problem by about 85%.

12. _sky_

_sky_

Jan 8, 2012
    Portugal
  13. Mr. Wu

Mr. Wu Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Canton, GA
    This ...

14. _sky_

_sky_

Jan 8, 2012
    Portugal
    Didn't know anything about those pickups. I´ll will search information regarding those pickups. Thanks!

Excluding pickups...the Behringer HD400 would solve the problem?

15. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I wouldn't use an external device to remedy an internal problem. Also note that all hum debuggers will affect your tone.

16. DiabolusInMusic

Did you get this remedied OP? It really sounds like single-coil noise to me but I do not know what kind of pickups are in a Ric.

17. atracksler

atracksler

Oct 30, 2007
    It is indeed single coil noise, I'd never noticed it, since I had been using an amp or stage wedges, in the IEM's it was really noticeable. Turned down the gain on the preamp and it was all good...

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  18. Mr. Wu

Mr. Wu Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Canton, GA
    I had real issues with my 4003 at certain venues ... IEMs made it really noticeable. Moved to the Barden pickups and have had no issues at all ... Really happy that they maintain the Ricky tone without the annoying hum.

19. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    This is one reason why I always bring at least one Rick 4004 to every gig -- i.e they use humbuckers instead of high gains pickups.

20. Aceonbass

Aceonbass Commercial User

Apr 10, 2004
    Parkville,Mo.
    Swap out your RIC single coils for RIC HB1 humbuckers. You'll need to modify your wiring though to get the most out of the tone by replacing your tone pots and caps. If you still have the .0047uF bass cut cap, you should remove it.