4001 V63

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Aug 14, 2001.

1. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i need your opinion on the sound of the rick 4001 v63 or of a 4001 equipped with toaster and horseshoe pickups. i have a 4001 and i want to upgrade the standard single coil pickups to the horseshoe and toaster. can you tell me the real differences in sound between the standard equipped 4001 and the toaster/horeshoe equipped rick?
    thanks a lot!
  2. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    You may want to run a search in this forum as this topic has been discussed before. Generally, the sound of the v63 has been described as fatter because of the full output of the neck pickup. I played one unplugged a couple of weeks ago and the neck seemed wider to me.

I have a brand new 4003 in transit to me should be here Friday by the way. Can't wait!
  3. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    thanks a lot max!
    i did the search and found interesting things too. the fact is that i live in italy and i have never seen or tried in person a rick with horseshoe and toaster pickup so before i buy i'd like to hae more and more information on this.
  4. I've got a toaster in the neck of my 4008, the only difference i've noticed to the neck single coil in my 4003 is that it seems a little lower in output, and a little hotter in the midrange (a bit more snarl there).

Can't comment about the horseshoes, though.
  5. I have a 4001v63 with the horsehoe and toaster pickups and the best way I can describe the tone is you get that signature RIC tone but with more bottom end. I can dial in a Geddy Lee sound with it with the right amp settings and I get a great Chris Squire tone pretty easily by playing with a pick. The horseshoe in mine is pretty hot, it has such high output that I had to lower the pickup a bit so the bass wouldn't be much louder than my other basses. I usually run the horseshoe volume all the way up and the toaster around 3/4 of the way.

I hope this helps!