Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4002!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rekesbass, Dec 25, 2002.

1. go check out the Ric 4002 on ebay now...sorry I don't know how to link it here:confused: :oops: this is a truly rare find and no reserve:D just wish I had the cash.

2. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Wow that looks awesome.. I've tried some Ricks that were cool but that one looks awesome!

D

3. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Just a word for those who may feel interested by a 4002 : this model does not sound like a 4001 or 4003, because of a different pickup position. Just have to know it before buying or bidding.

4. yes, they do sound a little different,but it still sounds like a Ric.I got to play one once and it was sweet..it had all the "Ric" qualities but there was something different,or should I say "special" about it. a truly unique instrument....

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, somebody should forward this on over to geddy lee at rush.com - he's mentioned in interviews before that he wants a 4002. :D

6. I just e-mailed Rush.com...what are the chances Geddy or anyone else will read it?....I would love to be the guy who saved the world by hooking up Geddy Lee with a Ric 4002;)...but, don't you think Geddy would just contact Ric and order himself one? I would think Ric would make one just for him, Lemmy has "his" model,and Chris Squire has his. Geddy is probably one of the most "visible" artist that ever used a Ric. I (for one) would like to see Geddy back in the "Ric saddle" again. we should all flood Ric with requests for a "Geddy Lee" model Ric;) who's with me?

7. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD

8. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Nah. One of us should get it. Then at the first national Talk Bass get together we could all fondle it.

9. hibeam

hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    USA
    Theres a late 70s ric at my local GC, played it, want it.

10. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Oh... it's in my hometown. I'll try to contact him and check it out. Of course, I'll let you know all about it. :)

11. Geddy is not looking for a 4002 - he is looking for a 4000:

from http://www.guitarcenter.com/interview/geddylee/geddylee_standard.shtml:

"GC: What's the next thing that you'd like to get? What's on your wish list?

Lee: Right now I'm looking for an old Rickenbacker 4000, single pickup. I've always used a double pickup model. Recently I was in Seattle at the music museum that Paul Allen set up out there, the Experience Music Project. They have a great collection of guitars. One of the things I saw in their collection was this beautiful 4000 model Ricky bass, and I've been kind of obsessed by it so I'm looking for one right now."

IIRC, Hugh Syme is in posession of Geddy's old 4002 - I imagine he would have no trouble borrowing it back if he wanted it.

--jeff

12. That 4002 is SCHWEEET!

Way back, when i saw those in the 1982(?) catalog I wrote to Rick asking them to make me a short-scale version. They replied with a nice letter saying that they couldnt do any custom orders at the moment, because they were still way too back-logged on the production models... seems that Rickenbacker has always had a BUSY shop!

13. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I have a book called Bass heroes. In it, Geddy Lee says he has a 4002. He says it has a low impedence pickup, and ebony fretboard.

14. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    I always wanted a Rick with a pickup right at the bridge. I had heard a Spector NS2002B and thought it sounded sweet for slap. Would love to actually hear the 4002.