4003 Montezuma Brown

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by goldcomet, Jun 19, 2003.

1. I bought a Montezuma Brown 4003 from Pick of the Ricks tonight. I haven't had a 4003 for awhile and I'm really looking forward to getting it. Yesterday I drove 75 miles one way (Cinti, Oh to Lexington, Ky.)to look at a Fireglo. It was beautiful, but when I plugged it in nothing happened. The owner took it in the back and fixed it pretty quick. After I plugged it in again it played and sounded great, except when I used the toggle switch for the pickups. It was really scratchy and noisey so I passed on it. (Must have been made on a Monday morning.) Anyone else notice any quaility control problems from Rickenbacker lately? I asked Chris to check the one I ordered before he shipped it. He has 2 so hopefully there's a good one between them. All my other Ricks have been great, although this is my first new one. Used 4003's are going for almost the same as new ones. Even late models that aren't anything collectable.
  2. DW

Jun 22, 2000
    IMO the QC at Rickenbacker today is the best ever. Of course the occasional defect can slip by but it could have been damaged in transit or (more likely) screwed up by another customer.

You won't have any problems with anything you buy from Chris.
  3. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Pick of the Ricks is one of the best place to buy a good Rickenbacker.

I have had dealings with Chris and he is excellent.

The quality of my 2002 Burgundy 4003 Bass is unbelievable. The pickups are "hot hot hot" !!!

You can just expect the best from your Montezuma 4003. The colour is simply awesome !

Post pictures please when you receive it.
  4. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    No problems with my 4003, I bought it in 1999.
    I went "Geddy" style.
  5. I have not had any problems with my (dec.)2002 4003... and yes, the p\u's are HOT!! all Rickenbacker but louder..montazuma brown is a real nice color too,it kinda looks like my walnut 82' 4001 but mines a lighter brown on the edeges...congrats on your new Ric..I don't think you'll be dissapointed
  6. I don't have a digital camera or scanner, but maybe I can borrow one by the time I get it. The 4003 I tried yesterday came out of their backroom and I think I was the first to play it. One problem I can understand, but 2 had me a little worried about quaility control. The fit and finish were perfect on the bass, it was just the electrical part that worried me. The owner was going to replace the switch or changeout pickguards with a Jetglow 4003 he had in stock, but I didn't want any soldering done in case I would have other problems and have to send it to Rickenbacker. They're warranty policy is kinda weird anyway the way they back their products by manufacture date instead of the date they're sold. I do love Rickenbackers. I've owned 5 other basses of theirs. BTW The store I went to in Lexington, Ky had more new guitars than any store I've ever been in and his prices were really reasonable. The name of the store is Willcutt Guitar Shoppe. If your ever close by check it out.
  7. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Congrats Goldcomet !

I'm sure you'll be happy dealing with Chris. He has a solid reputation.

Montezuma Brown is a gorgeous finish.

All the best,