4003 NECKS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by THUMPER73533, Feb 27, 2006.

1. THUMPER73533

Feb 23, 2006
    i played a late modle 4003 blueburst over the weekend. the neck seemed thicker, not as flat as the 4003 i had 12 years ago. is the trend for the newer 4003s?
  2. i dont know for sure because i've only played two 4003 and there for 2004 (mine) and one in a store that was from 2005, but i heard that new 4003 do tend to have thicker necks.

i could be wrong but i think that they do these days.
  3. Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    My 4003 seems to have a rather large neck but it might be from my years of playing a Jazz bass. IIRC, Ric necks are shaped by hand so their might be times where the neck will be thinner or thicker (etc) but this is just simply speculation. Right now I'm more comfortable with my Ric then any other bass I've played had, fits me perfectly.
  4. Mine is thicker than some older ones I've played...it's an '03 4003.

It took me a little while to get totally used to it, as I was used to "Fender Jazz" neck profiles, such as my J bass, and much thinner Aria Pro II - Now I can't stand the pencil-neck on my Aria...go figure:confused:

If you are a J-Bass neck guy, and want a 4003, I'd go for a pre-97 one. P-Bass neck guy? 2001 and up.

My Rick has a lot of output, and thankfully, sounds thick as well as biting.(I think the thicker neck contributes to this just a little...)