1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

4003 price new?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by madfiddler, Mar 30, 2006.

1. what would you expect to pay for a Rickenbacker 4003 new in the US? lots of web sites I looked at all said "call for price" all claiming they had the best price

thanks

2. Alex E

Alex E

Mar 2, 2006
    hello madfiddler.... again.

Well, let me tell you, son. American Musical Supply and Music123 are both about the same and both the lowest I found. Here in the U.S. their price out the door was $1,079!

Having said that, MusiciansFriend was the 1st to have the Fireglo 4003 in stock, they matched the 1,079 price (they have it listed for $1,149) and I bought my Ric from them. The bass was EXCELLENT RIGHT OUT OF THE CASE)

Happy shopping. Being in the UK, I hope you can get one for not too much more than that. (or its equivalent in pounds)

I don't think you'll regret a 4003. :bassist:

3. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
  4. i bought my 4003 from a local shop brand new for $950 with the hardshell case, but came close to what Music123 and other online retailers want... if i remember correctly it came to just about $1075.

5. basses are generally more expensive in the UK
    if you pay 1000 USD then we would pay 1000 GBP

1000 USD is currently about 580 GBP
    1000 GBP is about 1726 USD

so I have the possibility of getting a new one bought over for me by american friends and cost wise looks like I could save quite a bit, even considering import taxes (duty @ 3.9% and VAT at 17.5%)...assuming the bass cost $1000 USD it would work out about 715 GBP (not paying shipping obviosuly!)

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I think i have heard Rics are around a $1k now.

7. JimmyTheSaint

JimmyTheSaint

Mar 15, 2005
    California
    I just got mine for $1079 from zzounds.com including case and shipping. They kept extending the anticipated delivery date for jetglo, but then they suddenly got some in and my total wait ended up at four weeks. The only adjustment needed out of the box was the intonation on the E and A. Proper intonation required moving the saddles as far as they can go. Sound is even across the strings and the action is adjusted as low as the bridge can be adjusted, but I think the strings could be even closer to the neck without buzzing, but there's no more adjustment room. It's a little worrisome that I have no more headroom to adjust the guitar, but it does play great as is.

I had a 4001 from 1981-84, then a fretless 4003 from 1986-89. After all the 5 strings, 6 strings, 7 strings, fancy electronics, short scales, extra long scales, Sticks, Warrs, etc. etc. etc. I've owned, 17 years away from a Rick has taught me that it should have been my bass all along, at least in terms of the feel and playability. Soundwise, it's my favorite and the best at what it is, but no doubt too limited for most people. As far as the music scenes I can see, it's not a popular sound these days, but I just like the way it plays so much that everyone else can eat me.

8. £960 www.gak.co.uk, and they have more colours than just jetglo, got my mid blue from there, but my advise is order soon, becouse your genna have to wait a while for it, i have been waiting months now, wont be comming untill august

9. thanks kitcar....I've used gak before, my fender came via them although it had to be order from fender ( It hink european distribution is from holland now) - great service from them, but if I can save 200+ quid on that price by picking one up from the US than I think I will!

10. makes sence, tell me when you get it, where abouts in derbyshire are you?

11. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    I just bought one from Mike Parks for $1095, which includes shipping and set-up. It should be here soon.

Mike has been great throughout the buying process.

12. jonsmith

jonsmith

Dec 24, 2005
    London, UK
    Bear in mind if you are a UK resident and buy a new one from the US, you will have no warranty.

13. Due to some fortunate circimstances, I am getting a new 4003 JG + case from music123 for $875.99 + no tax + free ship + 12 months no interest! :hyper: :bassist: