1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

400RB/800RB Sweet Spots ...??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tjh, Oct 9, 2013.

1. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    I have seen some written about fav amp settings when using these classics, but I thought it might be nice to have it in a more condensed thread .. also, to make it more relative, probably listing what you are using for bass/strings and cab, and style of music would help too ... looking forward to seeing your replies ...

2. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    800RB/Ampeg 810
    Spector basses, Rotosound strings tuned to Eb
    All voicing buttons out
    treble Noon
    High Mids 1:30
    Low Mids 3:00
    Bass Noon
    Playing Metal.

3. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    the sweet spot when I had a GK 800RB was the trash can. It kept having problem after problem.

4. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    This is what worked for me for years.

400rb or 800rb.
    P-bass with rounds.
    Gain at noon.
    All filters off.
    Treble rolled off a smidge.
    Hi-mids flat.
    Lo-mids boosted to 1 o'clock.
    Bass flat or cut if room is boomy.
    Boost dimed.
    Master to taste.
    Through a 215 or two 115.

Now with the ATK, I haven't found a setting that works as well in a hard rock mix, but I have gotten close by boosting the bass and low mids more.

5. orangejulius3

orangejulius3 Supporting Member

May 6, 2013
    La Habra CA
    I have both right now.

Gain @ noon
    All Voice filters: off
    Treble @ noon
    Hi Mid @ noon
    Low Mid @ noon
    Bass @ noon
    Boost @ 2pm or to taste
    Volume to taste/limit of speaker

The 400rb I sometimes crank the boost knob.

The 400rb is my personal favorite.

6. The sweet spot for mine was the local Music Go Round. I loved how those horribly noisy opamps flew right out of my garage and changed into cash in my pocket... that I promptly paid rent with.

In all honesty, it served its purpose while I owned it. After the first opamp in the pre fried, I got it fixed. The tech used a much more noisy replacement opamp. After the second time I killed it, I got it fixed and then kept it home. It did not like the heat in the practice space. I sold it because I needed the money.

The real sweet spot was with the preamp section of an Ampeg VT-22 run through its effects loop, mostly to kill the sterile tone I got out of it. Worked great. I used a Peavey 810TX with it and an old Peavey 215 with spray painted cones. I played metal covers at the time. I ran the settings differently depending on which bass I ran through it.